Exelon

There are newer employer reviews for Exelon

Engineer employed in PECO division of Exelon

Current Employee - Engineer II in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Engineer II in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Exelon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generous salary when compared to other utiliy-based companies for the same position, good benefits, 401(K) and pension, and annual incentive bonus (based on company performance).

Cons

PECO division was downsized greatly ~ 20 years ago, so that the few that are still employed are over-worked, especially during storms. The lines that once defined your job "roles and responsibilities" are easily blurred given the right "business need" at the time. Knowledge level of company as a whole is lacking, and expected to get worse as those with 25, 30,40+ yrs. experience either move on or retire with the majority of the younger engineers having <5 yrs. of experience.

Understand that your employess are just that, the employees, and do not live and breath PECO/Exelon. Workload should be monitored and kept at a resonable level to maintain efficiency and over-exhaustion of your employees.

Refrain from speaking to your employees as if it should be automatic that you do "xyz" for "the company", even though it may not be in your initial job scope/responsibilities. Lastly, speak to your employees with respect, and not as if they are your children. This last issue may be more localized to my personal experience, but nonetheless, should be addressed.

Jun 17, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you for your feedback! We greatly value the opinions of all of our employees – present and past. We will be sure your feedback reaches the appropriate individuals at Exelon so we can help make ... More

148 Other Employee Reviews for Exelon (View Most Recent)

A great place to grow a career, but I wouldn't want to live there

Former Employee - Principal Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Principal Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Exelon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent comp & benefits
    Talented co-workers
    Opportunities for growth in early career
    Generous vacation days/holidays
    Most people generally high-performing
    Opportunities to rotate around the company in most departments

Cons

Bureaucracy
    Politics
    Difficult to rise out of the staff ranks to middle management
    Top-heavy organizational structure
    Work/life balance difficult for high performers

Some salient points consistently occur in employee feedback surveys that appear to fall on deaf ears oftentimes.

Career development and possible pathways to management should be better outlined, particularly with high-performing/high-potential employees.

Jun 17, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review! We greatly appreciate your input, and we would love to hear more about your experience. If you would be willing to provide any additional ... More

Good place to work, if you can stand the politics

Current Employee - Lead Analyst IT in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Analyst IT in Houston, TX

I have been working at Exelon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits, good salaries, some opportunities for advancement, diverse and interesting company with many locations, if you end up in a good department it can be one of the best jobs you'll ever have

Cons

Far too political with a lot of backstabbing and maneuvering in certain departments, a sclerotic and slow-moving bureaucracy that takes ages to make any real change (post-merger we are just now modernizing IT systems to Windows 7, which is itself already 6 years old)

Shareholders aren't making you money, employees are. Senior leadership doesn't acknowledge this in deeds as much as in words, although lower level managers do.

Jun 17, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review! We value the opinions of all of our employees – present and past. If you would like to provide any additional detail around your ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Exelon