Expedia

www.expedia.com
There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

A headless chicken, unable to make the big decisions about what not to do

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia

Pros

Nice product: you get to send people on holiday
Generally competent colleagues
International team

Cons

Tortuous organisation structure: impossible to get decisions made
Lack of clear strategy. Lots of vision, but no clarity about what not to do.
Weak tech, and weak understanding of tech amongst leadership team.

Make some clear decisions about what's not going to be done.
Put in place an organisation structure that expedites (!) decision making: make the flow from customer requirements to change far slicker.
Hire leadership who understand tech.

1061 Other Employee Reviews for Expedia (View Most Recent)

It's a decent enough place. Morale is terrible, but it's a job

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

The benefits are good. The rank and file are really pretty good to work with. People are friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

This company suffers from the curse of rapid growth. Many of the middle level managers/directors are ineffective and seem to be able to get away with doing little. If you're rocking in your current job, managment tends to keep you there, instead of looking to promote. Turnover is huge. This is a result of terrible morale.

It's time for a major overhaul in the organization. I would love to work there for a long, long time, but it's too difficult move up, even though I excel in my role.

Okay Work Environment with a lot of red tape and unneeded process

Current Employee - Applications Engineer II
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer II

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Overall, fairly competent people in some areas... If you work in a decent division, it will be a good experience. Some divisions are more turbulent than others. Wide array of job choices to choose from. Large company and overall employee treatment is decent. The illusion of job security is quite good.

Cons

Over-populated workspaces, long work hours and poor life/work balance as of late. Some groups suffer from lack of knowledge about their processes or inherited systems. Some personal much less knowledgeable than you would expect. Huge WAMU influx. Choking political policies that go against an agile dotCom mentality.

Get rid of the dead weight chiefs and get more indians. Don't let a slow and steady bank no-risk-taking mentality kill the required agility and fast change required by a high tech industry. We push code to provide a wide variety of travel services. The travel industry has what seems like daily changes and is constantly growing in all the different ways to travel, and enjoy a remote location....we're not doing loan risk analysis or general money handling and financials which would warrant a more cautious and bureaucratic approach.

There are newer employer reviews for Expedia