There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

Expedia

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia

Pros

Travel
They had money to spend on projects.

Cons

The platform on which Expedia.com ran was holding innovation back. They were working on that when I left but it wasn't moving very fast. This was a couple years ago though.

My employment ended a couple years ago so I don't feel qualified to offer advice at this point

reviews filtered by

Fun RollerCoaster Ride at Expedia

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Sound business, travel is fun to work on, the people who work here are smart, passionate and dedicated. If you're a techy and you've not been exposed to e-commerce, we're a great place to expose that side to you. We're a huge website that runs into all sorts of fun and interesting technology challenges as it relates to running a business online in the travel space. Employees can voice their opinions; however, some courage is needed to do that at times. If you're proactive and highly responsible, Expedia can definitely be a great place for you to work. People are constantly pushing themselves to be better.

Cons

It's definitely no longer an entrepreneurial atmosphere; it's a more mature company with more process and rules to follow than when we first left the mothership. The benefits for Tech people are average when compared with Google or Microsoft. We're too small a company to be able to drastically shift your career from square one or to move into a new group to experience working with brand new people. We're in a competitive location for tech people and we can very easily lose them to other tech focused companies; many tech folks aren't as passionate about the product as they are about technologies they get to work on and we're not big enough to allow for the types of vast investments in technology that a Google or Microsoft can afford to offer. Sometimes, work/life balance can suffer due to being a web site and being open 24 hours a day.

Keep listening to employees and let them know that you're hearing them and acting on some of their concerns as you can. Or even if you can't, continue communicating and sharing with them as much info as possible. Also encourage employees to share what's on their mind, give them a safe zone to provide this feedback. Many employees feel there might be repercussions - which I don't believe is true, but it's hard to get that message across with upper management constantly reinforcing it.

Great place to work - needs to catch up and innovate more!

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Super smart employees - solid upper management - healthy financials.

Cons

Moves slowly to update and innovate technology, management frequently changes direction

Pick one direction and go in it. Invest in the people that know the company. Build employee loyalty.

There are newer employer reviews for Expedia