Expedia

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia

Pros

Travel They had money to spend on projects.

Cons

The platform on which Expedia.com ran was holding innovation back. They were working on that when I left but it wasn't moving very fast. This was a couple years ago though.

Advice to Management

My employment ended a couple years ago so I don't feel qualified to offer advice at this point

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Decent company with potential

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

The company has good benefits and it can be a fun place to work. When the budget allows, the company likes to sponsor meetings at movie theaters and restaurants.

Cons

Poor career track programs. Lots of politics. The review periods are based more on popularity than accomplishments. Mentoring has been non-existent and year end review goals do not match mid year review goals.

Advice to Management

Improve the career track and improve communication.

Marketing needs major overhaul...some Execs should go...

Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Opportunities for advancement Shiny new office and location in downtown Bellevue Challenging environment Management recognizes hard work (at least the ones I know)

Cons

Definate opportunities for advancement but...thats only because of the churn and burn out. The Executive team is trying but they lack cohesion amongst themselves leading to infighting amongst division heads and territorialism between the sub brands; in other words not everyone is rowing in the same direction. General immaturity as a company of this age.

Advice to Management

Start shopping for a new owner. Barry Diller has been killing this company since he bought us. Expedia used to be the top dog but we are slipping to Priceline. I expected a poor earnings report today (2-19-09)...what I didn't expect was for Priceline to do so well in the exact same economic conditions we face. That delta between Expedia and Pricelines performance can only mean two things: It's time to rethink our market and what we're trying to accomplish and completely re-do the entire marketing team. Every attempt at marketing in the last 3-4 years has been miserable. And now we're getting beat by William Shatner as the "Negotiator"?! Customers don't connect with the brand anymore; we're simply another online company...