Expedia

www.expedia.com

Good, could be great if it sorted fragmented management

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIt is a very friendly company with good compensation and benefits. It has a sensible work/life balance approach and allows employees to work flexibly. The company is successful and has money in the bank so the offices are modern, light, pleasant and you get free drinks etc. There are a lot of smart people and the European marketing team is well managed and led.

ConsThe company goes through US centric/local centric swings but at its heart it is US centric. Several of the senior US management team are basically venture capitalists/consultants there to look after the financial interests of the majority shareholder and therefore there is a lot of short termism. The US management team are not great leaders- the European management team is on the whole ok. The main frustration with Expedia is that it seems to constantly seek to fragment its teams further, basically so that it can measure them all as "channels" on a spreadsheet and apply a rudimentary short term approach to figure out which is making the most money. This leads to duplication of effort and a lot of decisions that should get taken don't as there is a lack of ownership. If Expedia could be more joined up it would be dangerous. But that likely won't happen under the current ownership in my view. There is a very flat structure, so unless you feel happy selling your soul to be part of the small inner circle that runs the business, it will probably be a two or three year gig. If you have no qualms about that- and there are plenty who have done well by doing so- you'll enjoy it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring good people, but let them do good work in a joined up way. Look beyond your MBAed ex-cosultant central clique at the diverse talent in your company and reward the good people, not just the toadies.

You may make up a soft bed, but still it will be hard to sleep in

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Expedia as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: Welcome---An Iron Fist In A Velvet Glove. Cons: Personal subjective attitude is more important than company interest.. Advice to Senior Management: Do not recruit malevolent furious ladies. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good, But not for life saving

Customer Service (Current Employee) Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at Expedia full-time for less than a year

Pros: Lovely carrier, gives good product knowlegde Cons: Agents are friendly with each others, however, the company policies… Advice to Senior Management: Get closer to agents, they are human beings! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Expedia.

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!