There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

A decent company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Biggest pluses are work-life balance, and getting to know the travel business. The investments in SOA are really starting to pay off, and the stock price has reflected the growing strength of the business.

Cons

They aim for 50% percentile of compensation in the industry, so you generally will not see an strong offer when hired. The company is for the most part not on the cutting edge of technology. The investments in engineering are mostly just to get to a modern SOA architecture, and I don't see any attempt to leapfrog in the process.

Take a cue from Amazon and focus much more on customer experience, and let this drive the way forward.

867 Other Employee Reviews for Expedia (View Most Recent)

No monetary benefit for sticking around; work/life balance depends upon the group

Current Employee - Product in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Product in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Travel discounts. Good vacation benefits. Leisure travel reimbursement. OK culture. Casual dress.

Cons

There's no unified policy around working from home and they like to say they promote work/life balance, but when you have a manager that isn't in line with alleged company values there is unfair scrutiny. As a working mother I feel unfairly scrutinized when I need to take my children to the doctor even when there's never been a question of the quality and timeliness of work. I've been told that "people" have noticed that I'm not here on the rare occasions that I need to tend to something during working hours. I'm salary so it's not like I'm skipping out on hours and then claiming them. On other teams I had really great flexibility and that was a strength of the management. I've gone from working from home 1-4 days a week to not at all because you need to keep up appearances for management. You're made to feel untrustworthy and like you're slacking.

I've been here over 5 years and a few years ago HR had a new policy to hire everyone in at the middle of their salary range while leaving everyone that was already here where they were. So I was managing people that were making only $500 less than me a year. If I was to be hired now I would be making $20,000 more a year and that's really difficult to stomach. I continually think about leaving.

Obvious favoritism from management.

Be consistent. Trust your employees and don't be a manager if you can't talk directly to your directs. More communication. Don't penalize working parents. Pay all of your employees competitively. Learn what your employees do. I can't respect a manager that doesn't understand my job or the business.

Expedia Local Expert--Poor Management, Extreme Hostile Environment

Former Employee - Expedia Local Expert Ticket Sales Concierge in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Expedia Local Expert Ticket Sales Concierge in Orlando, FL

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Impressive benefits (while you are employed with them), hospitality passes, relationships with lodging partners, venders, parks, restaurants, etc. There's also potential to earn a descent paycheck if you're aggressive (this is assuming that Expedia Local Expert will not continue to take our earned referral money).

Cons

The morale of the company is insanely poor. Management is a joke--all they care about is numbers. Like every other company these days, they try to come off as big time customer service champions--Their expectations of customer service and sales simultaneously combined is unreasonable and is an impossibility. They want people who can sell the crap out of combo tickets but, at the same time, give the clients whatever they want without being a little aggressive. Some of the Concierge Managers will give mixed signals on how they want you to go about up-selling one-day tickets but, then, you'll be fighting for your job the next minute.
    Management takes, "The customer is always right" to a whole new level; All blame for whatever complaint is rolled over on you to swallow whether or not you're at fault.
    NO JOB SECURITY.
    Favoritism is another obvious issue. They will hire people from outside the company to be managers, usually friends of management who know nothing about managing people.
    You can work very hard to earn full time like I did--it took me a year to finally get full time after empty promise after empty promise every couple months. After I finally did get full time, my desired schedule and my desired property, it was all taken away due to a sudden and random act of seniority that I have never seen before. It was "best performance" one minute, and "seniority" the next. And I was the top performer on the team and, oftentimes, of all ELE Orlando! True story.
    Do NOT expect a career out of this company for sure unless, of course, you are best friends with the regional manager. This could be a nice gig for some tough-skinned kid who doesn't really 'need' a long-term job... that's about it.
    One last word--when I was still with the company, they were looking for any reason to clean house of full timers so that they did not have to pay full time benefits. They would hire way more part timers than they needed, have us [full timers] train them, and then give us the boot replacing us with them. It happened to, literally, almost every single veteran within the company in Orlando. One of the reasons was because they were making company changes that would minimize our paychecks, and they didn't want us to make a big stink about it. So they would fire whoever they wanted at will for laughable reasons.
    ***TURNOVER RATE IS OUTRAGEOUS*** [for a reason!]

You only have a few more years to ride this ticket-selling business until it is no longer worth the business. People are discovering that it is so much easier to simply purchase and print their ticket(s)/voucher(s) from the internet these days.
    Here's my question to you once again -- How is it that you plan on ensuring your frontline employees any hope for success when you take everybody else's word over theirs?

There are newer employer reviews for Expedia