There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

A decent company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Biggest pluses are work-life balance, and getting to know the travel business. The investments in SOA are really starting to pay off, and the stock price has reflected the growing strength of the business.

Cons

They aim for 50% percentile of compensation in the industry, so you generally will not see an strong offer when hired. The company is for the most part not on the cutting edge of technology. The investments in engineering are mostly just to get to a modern SOA architecture, and I don't see any attempt to leapfrog in the process.

Advice to Management

Take a cue from Amazon and focus much more on customer experience, and let this drive the way forward.

Other Employee Reviews for Expedia

No monetary benefit for sticking around; work/life balance depends upon the group

Current Employee - Product in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Product in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Travel discounts. Good vacation benefits. Leisure travel reimbursement. OK culture. Casual dress.

Cons

There's no unified policy around working from home and they like to say they promote work/life balance, but when you have a manager that isn't in line with alleged company values there is unfair scrutiny. As a working mother I feel unfairly scrutinized when I need to take my children to the doctor even when there's never been a question of the quality and timeliness of work. I've been told that "people" have noticed that I'm not here on the rare occasions that I need to tend to something during working hours. I'm salary so it's not like I'm skipping out on hours and then claiming them. On other teams I had really great flexibility and that was a strength of the management. I've gone from working from home 1-4 days a week to not at all because you need to keep up appearances for management. You're made to feel untrustworthy and like you're slacking. I've been here over 5 years and a few years ago HR had a new policy to hire everyone in at the middle of their salary range while leaving everyone that was already here where they were. So I was managing people that were making only $500 less than me a year. If I was to be hired now I would be making $20,000 more a year and that's really difficult to stomach. I continually think about leaving. Obvious favoritism from management.

Advice to Management

Be consistent. Trust your employees and don't be a manager if you can't talk directly to your directs. More communication. Don't penalize working parents. Pay all of your employees competitively. Learn what your employees do. I can't respect a manager that doesn't understand my job or the business.

Expedia is an awesome company to work!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Live and Work balance is outstanding. Great compensation and lots of opportunities for growth.

Cons

Employees don't get awarded any stocks.

Advice to Management

Start giving out stocks!