Expedia

There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

Expedia Local Expert--Poor Management, Extreme Hostile Environment

Former Employee - Expedia Local Expert Ticket Sales Concierge in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Expedia Local Expert Ticket Sales Concierge in Orlando, FL

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Impressive benefits (while you are employed with them), hospitality passes, relationships with lodging partners, venders, parks, restaurants, etc. There's also potential to earn a descent paycheck if you're aggressive (this is assuming that Expedia Local Expert will not continue to take our earned referral money).

Cons

The morale of the company is insanely poor. Management is a joke--all they care about is numbers. Like every other company these days, they try to come off as big time customer service champions--Their expectations of customer service and sales simultaneously combined is unreasonable and is an impossibility. They want people who can sell the crap out of combo tickets but, at the same time, give the clients whatever they want without being a little aggressive. Some of the Concierge Managers will give mixed signals on how they want you to go about up-selling one-day tickets but, then, you'll be fighting for your job the next minute.
Management takes, "The customer is always right" to a whole new level; All blame for whatever complaint is rolled over on you to swallow whether or not you're at fault.
NO JOB SECURITY.
Favoritism is another obvious issue. They will hire people from outside the company to be managers, usually friends of management who know nothing about managing people.
You can work very hard to earn full time like I did--it took me a year to finally get full time after empty promise after empty promise every couple months. After I finally did get full time, my desired schedule and my desired property, it was all taken away due to a sudden and random act of seniority that I have never seen before. It was "best performance" one minute, and "seniority" the next. And I was the top performer on the team and, oftentimes, of all ELE Orlando! True story.
Do NOT expect a career out of this company for sure unless, of course, you are best friends with the regional manager. This could be a nice gig for some tough-skinned kid who doesn't really 'need' a long-term job... that's about it.
One last word--when I was still with the company, they were looking for any reason to clean house of full timers so that they did not have to pay full time benefits. They would hire way more part timers than they needed, have us [full timers] train them, and then give us the boot replacing us with them. It happened to, literally, almost every single veteran within the company in Orlando. One of the reasons was because they were making company changes that would minimize our paychecks, and they didn't want us to make a big stink about it. So they would fire whoever they wanted at will for laughable reasons.
***TURNOVER RATE IS OUTRAGEOUS*** [for a reason!]

You only have a few more years to ride this ticket-selling business until it is no longer worth the business. People are discovering that it is so much easier to simply purchase and print their ticket(s)/voucher(s) from the internet these days.
Here's my question to you once again -- How is it that you plan on ensuring your frontline employees any hope for success when you take everybody else's word over theirs?

1061 Other Employee Reviews for Expedia (View Most Recent)

Travel made easy!

Current Employee - Application Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Application Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- People are great - very positive and want to get to know you
    - willingness of those around to help provide you info or give advice, either about work, travel, or both!
    - Travel and health benefits are amazing

Cons

- Typical office politics
    - sometimes a lack of desire to emphasize operational excellence

Please look at establishing standards (especially in IT) for processes and tools for Operations as that will help in reducing overhead cost and allow that money to be shifted toward new ventures that can help keep Expedia at the top of travel

Lots of Re-Organizations and Turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Vacation benefits, medical, relaxed environment. The employees are friendly and have varied backgrounds.

Cons

From my experience it can be difficult to work for Expedia and not feel like a guest rather than an employee. Turnover seems to be massive at this company and a lot of people seem to leave at about the two-year mark. There are frequent senior leadership changes which causes attrition in the ranks. New leaders often end up re-organizing entire groups which forces some people out of
    work. You can be very happy and well-suited to the job you were hired for and then suddenly come to work one day to find that you are on a new team with a different manager. This new team may have different expectations and work which you are not as suited for. I'd already been through a few re-orgs and then one day I came to work to find HR giving a few of us our walking papers due to yet another impending re-organization. They didn't give us the option of looking for other jobs internally, they simply took our badges and walked us out of the building which was very cold, in my opinion.

I've worked for many large companies and can honestly say that there are more re-organizations
    and employee turnover at Expedia than i've ever seen. I understand that re-orgs are a part of corporate life, but this was ridiculous. Be aware of this for anyone re-locating from a long distance to join this company.

Compensate employees fairly so they do not turnover so often. Also, limit re-organizations which causes attrition. Some managers need to learn to keep work-life balance in check and also treat subordinates with respect and limit yelling or condescending behavior.

There are newer employer reviews for Expedia