Expedia

www.expedia.com
There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

Smart people, great career opportunities and good work/life balance

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great collaborative colleagues. Good travel benefits, especially on hotels. Recognizable brand name and leader in the travel industry. For those who are passionate about travel and technology, Expedia is the place to grow your career

Cons

Only downside has been salary on the lower end of the market. Also, due to the size of the company, riskier bets in technological innovation becomes lacking as time/money is spent on technology infrastructure.

While management on my team has been relatively stable, I know other colleagues have not had that luxury.

1103 Other Employee Reviews for Expedia (View Most Recent)

Expedia Local Expert Employee review

Current Employee - Expedia Local Expert in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Expedia Local Expert in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and good pay

Cons

Standing 8 hours a day often

Could be a little more envolved

Like being paid to receive a frontal lobotomy

Former Contractor - Content Editor in Bellevue, WA
    Former Contractor - Content Editor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia as a contractor

Pros

Good work/life flexibility. My position was telecommute, so I could work from home in my jammies. Requests for time off were always granted.

Cons

Shockingly low wages for a multimillion dollar company. Content Editors make $17.50 an hour, which in the Seattle market means an endless struggle to have any money left over after paying for the city's astronomically high rents. Since it was telecommute anyway, I solved this issue by being a shed boy in Jefferson County for most of my tenure. Don't expect to live the good life in Seattle on what Expedia pays.

I was warned in advance that this would not be a creative position, but nothing could have prepared me for the Expedia approach to editing, which essentially throws out anything that might improve the readability of dreadfully written product descriptions. All it amounts to is shuffling a fixed set of hotel amenities from one interchangeable write-up to the next. Editors are not even expected to proofread their own work -- hello??? In a conference call, one of the managers actually said, "Don't try to make anything sound better; that only creates more work for everyone." Given these conditions, the hotel property and room descriptions all sound more or less exactly alike. Very boring. Almost all of them are written in passive voice, and a great many of them were penned by a computer software program or by someone who was not a native speaker of the English language. Not being able to stomach this dismal state of conducting business, I spent a lot of time rewriting or otherwise untangling the garbled descriptions. Most of my colleagues only did Control F copy/paste "editing," and that's all that's really desired by the lazy, unimaginative managers.

Bring humanity into the quality control process. Stop "reviewing" the editors as if they were heads of cattle. Raise the hourly wages to above $20 an hour. Get rid of the Control F "method" of editing; write about hotels as unique places, not as mere receptacles for this or that amenity; banish the verb "offer" from your vocabularies and especially cease and desist from using the feeble construction "is offered." Get a sense of humor about yourselves and do not humiliate employees who gently make fun of the hotel descriptions on the company's private Yammer page. Do not let unhappy bureaucrats (mis-)manage creative people. Trust editors to have astute judgment about what is and what isn't good writing.

There are newer employer reviews for Expedia