Expedia

www.expedia.com
There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

Like being paid to receive a frontal lobotomy

Former Employee - Content Editor in Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Content Editor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia as a contractor

Pros

Good work/life flexibility. My position was telecommute, so I could work from home in my jammies. Requests for time off were always granted.

Cons

Shockingly low wages for a multimillion dollar company. Content Editors make $17.50 an hour, which in the Seattle market means an endless struggle to have any money left over after paying for the city's astronomically high rents. Since it was telecommute anyway, I solved this issue by being a shed boy in Jefferson County for most of my tenure. Don't expect to live the good life in Seattle on what Expedia pays.

I was warned in advance that this would not be a creative position, but nothing could have prepared me for the Expedia approach to editing, which essentially throws out anything that might improve the readability of dreadfully written product descriptions. All it amounts to is shuffling a fixed set of hotel amenities from one interchangeable write-up to the next. Editors are not even expected to proofread their own work -- hello??? In a conference call, one of the managers actually said, "Don't try to make anything sound better; that only creates more work for everyone." Given these conditions, the hotel property and room descriptions all sound more or less exactly alike. Very boring. Almost all of them are written in passive voice, and a great many of them were penned by a computer software program or by someone who was not a native speaker of the English language. Not being able to stomach this dismal state of conducting business, I spent a lot of time rewriting or otherwise untangling the garbled descriptions. Most of my colleagues only did Control F copy/paste "editing," and that's all that's really desired by the lazy, unimaginative managers.

Bring humanity into the quality control process. Stop "reviewing" the editors as if they were heads of cattle. Raise the hourly wages to above $20 an hour. Get rid of the Control F "method" of editing; write about hotels as unique places, not as mere receptacles for this or that amenity; banish the verb "offer" from your vocabularies and especially cease and desist from using the feeble construction "is offered." Get a sense of humor about yourselves and do not humiliate employees who gently make fun of the hotel descriptions on the company's private Yammer page. Do not let unhappy bureaucrats (mis-)manage creative people. Trust editors to have astute judgment about what is and what isn't good writing.

1060 Other Employee Reviews for Expedia (View Most Recent)

Company overview

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Travel Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get full benefits and they have many different shifts and you get travel and hotel incentives

Cons

company does not have good management your basically on your own and they have no compassion for emergency situations . Does not have logical and reachable sales commission plans and goals.

have more frequent meetings with your teams and listen to the people more on the front lines of the phones as they can help make a better company for the Expedia, sales associates and customers and another thing give people a chance that are applying for a position, that have any kind of sales or customer service experience. not limited phone sales experience.

Great company, good benefits, fast paced, but it can be overwhelming at first

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Solutions Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun, casual environment, people are nice, good benefits and good eastside location.

Cons

Workspace is small and wide open to co-workers. It can get very loud and distracting, not good when you are on a conference call or trying to concentrate. At times the workload can be overwhelming and it was hard to have a good work life balance.

There are newer employer reviews for Expedia