Expedia

www.expedia.com
  www.expedia.com
There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

Excellent Opportunities for Growth, Amazing Benefits, Small Company Roots with Big Business Future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunity for personal development, career growth and promotion is outstanding. If you apply yourself 110%, you will go far with this company. If you are here for just another job or just to get a little experience before moving elsewhere - it shows in your performance! The ability to expand your horizons into different departments is outstanding as long as you take the time to network with others.

The Executive Leadership Team has a blue sky vision for the company as a whole and they are dependent on the mid-level management to uphold the values and accomplish the tasks. I've found that most management I've worked with are not micro-managers unless they are forced to be (slackers not doing their jobs)!.

The benefits packages are very competitive. At my tenure, I've got 5 weeks of vacation + leisure travel reimbursement and discounts on hotel reservations. With your IATAN Card, you can also get flight discounts through special airline programs. The opportunity to travel + reimbursement is amazing.

From a personal development standpoint, they have online classes offered free of charge, college tuition reimbursement, classes for all levels of management and developmental goal setting as part of your mid-year and year-end reviews.

Cons

Being in Bellevue, the commute is heavy if you live anywhere but on the east side. I live in the South End near Puyallup / Tacoma and while housing is MUCH more affordable, the hour to hour-and-ahalf commute is brutal unless you have a carpool buddy.

At times, the work load can be a bit rough - when you are managing 4-5 projects, 3-4 processes and then a "fire-drill" erupts and you must drop everything, it's certainly difficult to NOT stress out.

My advice:
Be more open about the goals of your department and how those fit into the overall goals of Expedia.
Get out of your offices, set aside some of the meetings and further understand what other parts of the company are doing to help you achieve your goals.
Communicate clearly which projects are in the pipeline that will make life easier for your employees
Provide more praise to your employees when they do a good job, even if it is something small.

927 Other Employee Reviews for Expedia (View Most Recent)

Great people, fun environment

Current Employee - Senior Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good leadership and lots of fun outside of work.

Cons

As with most companies its size, there is a fair bit of politics and posturing. And there are a few bad apples. As long as one understands that this is the nature of the beast, and one just has to learn to deal with it...it is not a problem

Raise salaries or you will lose a lot of good people

Horrible company

Former Employee - Hotel Content Editor in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Hotel Content Editor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I liked my coworkers and the work was sometimes fun. I enjoyed the customer service aspect of the job. Contractors telecommute, which is a huge benefit

Cons

The wages for contract editors are insultingly low, especially given the complexity and difficulty of the work. I felt exploited and not valued. The work was not temporary in nature, but part of their routine services, yet they primarily hire temps to do it and there are rarely opportunities for permanent employment. But maybe that's a "Pro," because I would not have wanted to work there on a permanent basis. Editors are subject to a very stringent and ugly quality control process, but I never got the impression that they cared very much about the quality of the content or about the user experience with the content.

There are newer employer reviews for Expedia