Expedia

www.expedia.com
There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

Not perfect, but ultimately worth it

Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Expedia is full of passionate people who have progressive ideas. I love that my company cares about corporate stewardship and promotes environmentally sustainable travel. Despite some setbacks, we tend to be good about course correcting after mistakes or lulls in creativity. I think we are getting more interesting and creative with time instead of stagnating like many mature companies do.

Cons

Many teams are very understaffed (including my own). There can be many unreasonable expectations for deliverables given available resources and other commitments and this can get in the way of work-life balance. I see a lot of this in the areas of IT and development, which are the backbone of our company. We also often underpay compared to our local market and this can make staffing and retention difficult.

Facilitate more collaboration and innovation, particularly across teams. Support user-experience innovations. Get with web 2.0 and better cross-browser support and don't forget the younger generation (without abandoning our current user base...just look toward the future). Don't skimp on resources or benefits; our people are the best asset we have and we have a lot of competition right next door.

1104 Other Employee Reviews for Expedia (View Most Recent)

Not a bad gig

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

The people are great. Everyone is treated with respect and dignity. I have a strong sense of work / life balance. My immediate manager is very supportive and invested in my career.

Cons

Not sure of the long-term strategic vision. We tend to focus too much on the short-term issues, rather than looking into the future. I'm unsure if the current business model is sustainable, and would like to know what Sr Management is thinking about for 2010+.

We need to focus more on the customer. Get back to basics.

Expedia - Why "Travel" To Somewhere Else?

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

You are not just "another body" at Expedia--you are a somebody. Granted, there are exceptions within the company which may have a different group dynamic or personal hardships for people. But for yours truly who has worked at two major companies over the past 18 years (Microsoft being one) the old adage "third time's a charm" holds true. The worst here at Expedia is the best I've had at other companies. It truly is a great place to work, and I still have a smile on my face when coming into the office each day.

I saw some headers of the other reviews prior to submitting my own, and all I can say is they must not have had enough years in their careers or worked at other companies. (A frog in a well cannot see the ocean.) For me, this is the first company I can seriously consider retiring with. Expedia is a big company but still has the charm of a smaller one. There is no true perfect place to work for all have their pros & cons, it's just how you perceive things along with the attitude you present to your co-workers and management. If you are a hard worker, you will be appreciated here at Expedia. In life and work is there really no greater reward?

I thank God each and every day for the hardships I’ve slogged-through at other companies, otherwise, Expedia would just be another place to work instead of *THE* place to work for me. I’m here on Saturday (of my own free will mind you) and still have a smile on my face.

Cons

It's a 27-minute drive into work (each way). Other than that, I'm still thinking...

Please don't look at other companies and follow their path. Even though Expedia may not be 100% perfect, no company is. It's when they think they can achieve perfection everything starts spiraling downwards.

Happy employees = great work environment = more work gets done *right* = happy company.

There are newer employer reviews for Expedia