There are newer employer reviews for Expedia

Not perfect, but ultimately worth it

Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Expedia is full of passionate people who have progressive ideas. I love that my company cares about corporate stewardship and promotes environmentally sustainable travel. Despite some setbacks, we tend to be good about course correcting after mistakes or lulls in creativity. I think we are getting more interesting and creative with time instead of stagnating like many mature companies do.

Cons

Many teams are very understaffed (including my own). There can be many unreasonable expectations for deliverables given available resources and other commitments and this can get in the way of work-life balance. I see a lot of this in the areas of IT and development, which are the backbone of our company. We also often underpay compared to our local market and this can make staffing and retention difficult.

Facilitate more collaboration and innovation, particularly across teams. Support user-experience innovations. Get with web 2.0 and better cross-browser support and don't forget the younger generation (without abandoning our current user base...just look toward the future). Don't skimp on resources or benefits; our people are the best asset we have and we have a lot of competition right next door.

reviews filtered by

Lead by Example and make others to the same, no exceptions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Expedia is a fast paced fun environment. People are passionate about what they do here and it's an exciting industry. Still feels like a start up. Small enough yet big enough. Innovation and great thinking still going on. People are generally very nice. You get the tools you need to do your work. You have a nice working environment in a nice area and free soda! Overall, Expedia has been a very positive and enjoyable working experience for me. Definitely one of the better places to work and the pay and benefits are competitive but could be improved to be more competetive.

Cons

Things take too long to get done. They say their most important asset is their people. They need to prove that and not just say it. I think alot of people feel that they are easily replaceable and not valued as much as they should be. I see alot of managers work their staff very hard and not be too concerned about work/life balance. I see managers who are not ethical and they don't work very hard and yet they expect their teams to work very very hard and give up alot. Great companies have great managers who set great examples and we lack a bit of that here at Expedia.

Hire top notch recruiters who in turn know how to hire top notch people.
    Have on going mandatory manager training to keep people up to speed on laws, changing work place and just tips on being a good manager.
    Communicate frequently and openly.
    Set the example and the make sure your direct reports to do the same and so on and so on...
    When there is a "bad apple" get rid of it quickly. So many slackers that are allowed to hang around too long while everyone else picks up the slack.

Not a bad gig

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

The people are great. Everyone is treated with respect and dignity. I have a strong sense of work / life balance. My immediate manager is very supportive and invested in my career.

Cons

Not sure of the long-term strategic vision. We tend to focus too much on the short-term issues, rather than looking into the future. I'm unsure if the current business model is sustainable, and would like to know what Sr Management is thinking about for 2010+.

We need to focus more on the customer. Get back to basics.

There are newer employer reviews for Expedia