non-IT but IT-like company

Current Employee - Java Developer in West Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Java Developer in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a great company for developers who don't want pagers or much stress from meeting project timeline. The company is very eager to adopt cutting edge technologies which gives you a lot of opportunities to grow.

Cons

Less than average pay rate. All decisions, related to technologies, are made by senior managers who don't know what they are doing.

Advice to Management

Please hear what people say.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great Company, if the shoe fits.

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No-lay off policy. Great benefits. Merit based promotions. No company debt. Knowledge & experience opportunities - international logistics, customer service, accounting, all around business exposure. Most employees that have worked for Expeditors for 3 years tend to stay.

Cons

Stressful work environment with high expectations for operations personnel. Systems development is slow and can be frustrating. If you can "do your time", sacrifice & endure the long hours, it could pay off but I have seen multiple good employees burn out before that point.

Advice to Management

Help employees before they burn out. Vacation coverage could use improvement so employees don't have to work twice as long when they get back to catch up.
    Great job on the employee benefits and stability. No debt, cash in the bank - is extremely admirable and a great example to other companies & government institutions.

Hard to advance, limited salary potential

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Expeditors has great benefits, including full insurance coverage with no premium for you and your family, and a bus pass (if you work at headquarters), and an employee stock purchase plan. They do a great job of sticking to the 40 hour work week if you're at corporate. If you're at the branch though, I've heard some horror stories. We really do whatever it takes to get the freight moving.

Cons

Vacation time is VERY limited (two weeks for all employees until you reach three years), low salaries unless you're an executive, nepotism, and what feels like a deck stacked against you in terms of advancement. In addition, we've been on a hiring freeze for the past three years because as the CEO says "the economy is in a rough spot", while Amazon, Boeing and every other business in Seattle hires our developers away like crazy. Super strict dress code, little camaraderie among coworkers, drab office environment- it's not a fun place to work.

Advice to Management

Get with the times- you're losing your young employees left and right due to lack of innovation and a pay scale that isn't competitive at all. Let us go to conferences, network and co-work, maybe work from home, or do something that other tech companies do and maybe we can remain competitive?