Expeditors - not a place to look for in career growth or for a decent salary

Former Employee - Ocean Export Agent  in  Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Ocean Export Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at Expeditors

Pros

-Company has an "open door" policy where you can meet your supervisor, manager, or district manager at anytime w/o "repercussions."
-Very nice health care plan

Cons

-If you're not working in corporate, you generally start at $30,000 as a customer representative. In corporate, subtantially higher closer to $40,000 or more
-Paid by the hour, not salary unless you're in corporate
-Pay raise per year is $1.50
-Starts with 2 weeks vacation time, does not roll over. You get 2 weeks of vacation after 5+ years.
-The paycheck does not reflect closely match the amount of work you do
-Company is not doing well (check their historical stock price) and will fire employees instead of laying off to avoid bad pr and severance packages
-Although the company has an "open door" policy (see Pros), the mindset of "big boss, small employee" mentality still remains
-Slow to innovate
-Has a heavy political atmosphere in upper management
- Upper management does not have much transparency toward employees
-Training is a joke, you do required 52 hr workbook training which trains you on a theoretical processes in the logistics industry but in reality it doesn't help at all. People rush through it as fast as possible to meet their requirement
-Expeditors claim to emphasize on employee personal growth but there aren't any tangible, specific measures
-Average turnover for the non-managerial employee at Expeditors is 3 years
-No HR department, is quite terrible at scheduling interviews

Fix the cons mentioned above

Other Reviews for Expeditors

Expeditors

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Expeditors

Pros

Expeditors has an openness to new ideas and innovation. The benefits and remuneration packages are upto market standards. Great team spirit, and good direction from the CEO has not put this company into dire straits during the recession. YAYY!

Cons

The vacation policy is not great. my advice is to take your vacation BEFORE joining the company.
    Growth in the company can get stagnant but interdepartment transfers are possible, and movitational.

It's great how you have kept this company and its employees intact during the worst times of the recession. Wishing you the best in your future endeavors.

When I die I'll go to heaven- I've spent my time in hell - Expeditors.

Current Employee - IT Developer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expeditors

Pros

It pays a little better than unemployment. They know how to make money.

Cons

It's a cult - IT vp actually said that to fit in here you have to drink the Kool-Aid. Every thing about the place is homegrown and they think it's an advantage. It's a technological backwater and there is no technical career path- you have to become a manager to make any money. "Fitting in" is extremely important. My favorite thing is that having a sense of humor is a corporate value and I've never worked in a more opressive environment.

Stick with your strategy of hiring recent grads because no one who has ever worked for a company where your basic human dignity is respected will ever be happy here.

There are newer employer reviews for Expeditors.

Worked for Expeditors? Contribute to the Community!