Experian Marketing Services

There are newer employer reviews for Experian Marketing Services

Good corporate culture

Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Experian Marketing Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Corporate culture is nice. They try to keep their employees happy with various perks like monthly company sponsored happy hours, cash awards for work well done, birthday/anniversary notifications/gifts, etc. Senior management sends out annual company wide surveys & actually takes the responses seriously. The company started on the whole hackday trend, which is nice, although they didn't seem to capitalize on many of the great ideas.

Cons

It's a Perl shop. For software developers, there's not a lot of cutting edge technology, our software pretty much sucks in the email marketing realm, there's not strong leadership, there's not a clearly defined path for career growth, we seriously risk falling behind in the email market (our strong suit is customer service, not software!). People are leaving in droves & management is having a very difficult time with retention at this point.

99 Other Employee Reviews for Experian Marketing Services (View Most Recent)

Not worth staying here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Experian Marketing Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really casual/chill and free food on certain days. Didn't have to stay OT, so that was nice.

Cons

There is SO much favoritism and lack of training. I'm not sure about every team, but on my team there were people who shouldn't have gotten a raise or moved up. Even if someone on your team works 10x harder and knows more than the person with the higher position based on favoritism it doesn't matter. Shows you how you move up in this company. I was a newb and I knew just based on how things were running after staying for awhile that it was time to leave. It's no wonder why there are many people quitting.

To summarize, you deal with people who don't know how to teach, favoritism, crappy documentation that won't help you learn how to use the app on your own in order to get things done (everyone including managers agree with this), terrible leadership, and some managers that are really condescending.

With so many people quitting within a short period of time, you definitely should've realized by now that you're doing something wrong. Give raises to the people who really deserve it and set up ways to help people learn. Create some better documentation or set up some training classes not just for account managers, for example, but other departments, too. If you do this the company will run more effectively and people will be less likely to quit.

Really bad leadership and culture, if I didn't love digital marketing I would've been miserable

Former Employee - Client Implementation Lead in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Client Implementation Lead in New York, NY

I worked at Experian Marketing Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have to speak with bias here...

I loved everyday of my work because I actually loved email marketing and loved the brands that I worked with. To implement things for my clients I got to push the limits of their crappy antiquated technology and learned a lot in that process. Because I enjoy creative problem-solving and fast pace environments, the job was really fulfilling.

Selected few people I worked with were truly some of the best talents I have ever met throughout my career with great personalities. However, some of them have left or might no longer be there as you read this.

Environment is casual, everyone is in the 27 year old range, if you are young, this could be a fun company to work in.

The Experian brand looks great on your resume, good for your next career jump.

Company structure is simple and easy to navigate (if you exclude the Experian company).

Occasional free food and alcohol can be a plus.

Casual and comfortable environment and dress code.

Cons

Complete lack of leadership and strategic vision. I thought the management were very childish and clicky. I felt almost as if they were all still in high school. This trickles down to every aspect of the company, from the way they treat employees to they way they compete in the market.

Job promotions are done unfairly, not even really based on seniority which I can understand to some extend. They will usually complement a hard worker but the promotion will be passed to someone who is a suck up. Even if these suck ups are horrible at their job, lazy, slack all day and is completely unqualified. You can imagine the cause and effect leading to bad managers and lost employees/high turnover.

Majority of mid level management are young (under 30) and are still learning to be leaders. This is acceptable if these guys are trying to be good leaders. Problem is most of them think they don't need to improve.

Profanity, hooking up at company events and expressing inappropriate behavior is acceptable. The most unprofessional environment I have been apart of.

There is no such thing as processes/control/efficiency. They operate like a start up which is a downfall for such a large organization. They company grew but the internal processes remained antiquated which causes a lot of issues and inefficiencies leading to long hours, out of scope projects, angry clients, internal miscommunication etc

Turnover is really high, right before I left, there were about 1 person quitting almost every week.

Complete lack of training, you will need to figure everything out yourself with no support from your management team. If you make a mistake due to lack of training, its still your fault. If you like to sink/swim in a job, this is the place for you. Otherwise, close this window and reconsider another job unless you're desperate.

This goes out to the Experian Company, its time you watch this division closely. They day of depending on profits based on high volume retail clients are over. If you don't revamp the management, watch this company's vision/operations closely soon, they will go down the gutter and all your good employees will be gone.

There are newer employer reviews for Experian Marketing Services