Experian Marketing Services

Engaged Employer

Was great, got worse!

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in New York, NY
Former Employee - Software Development Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Experian Marketing Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great vacation package. Salaries are pretty good too

Cons

Experian beaurocracy came into play and layers of management piled on top of the folks who actually did the work. Managers have no clue what's going on below them anymore, and are managing to some high level directives above them -- that they don't communicate downward. Was better when the old Cheetamail folks still had some control.

Other Employee Reviews for Experian Marketing Services

Good corporate culture

Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Experian Marketing Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate culture is nice. They try to keep their employees happy with various perks like monthly company sponsored happy hours, cash awards for work well done, birthday/anniversary notifications/gifts, etc. Senior management sends out annual company wide surveys & actually takes the responses seriously. The company started on the whole hackday trend, which is nice, although they didn't seem to capitalize on many of the great ideas.

Cons

It's a Perl shop. For software developers, there's not a lot of cutting edge technology, our software pretty much sucks in the email marketing realm, there's not strong leadership, there's not a clearly defined path for career growth, we seriously risk falling behind in the email market (our strong suit is customer service, not software!). People are leaving in droves & management is having a very difficult time with retention at this point.

Not worth staying here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Experian Marketing Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really casual/chill and free food on certain days. Didn't have to stay OT, so that was nice.

Cons

There is SO much favoritism and lack of training. I'm not sure about every team, but on my team there were people who shouldn't have gotten a raise or moved up. Even if someone on your team works 10x harder and knows more than the person with the higher position based on favoritism it doesn't matter. Shows you how you move up in this company. I was a newb and I knew just based on how things were running after staying for awhile that it was time to leave. It's no wonder why there are many people quitting. To summarize, you deal with people who don't know how to teach, favoritism, crappy documentation that won't help you learn how to use the app on your own in order to get things done (everyone including managers agree with this), terrible leadership, and some managers that are really condescending.

Advice to Management

With so many people quitting within a short period of time, you definitely should've realized by now that you're doing something wrong. Give raises to the people who really deserve it and set up ways to help people learn. Create some better documentation or set up some training classes not just for account managers, for example, but other departments, too. If you do this the company will run more effectively and people will be less likely to quit.