Not The Best, Not The Worst

Former Employee - Solutions Analyst in Allen, TX
Former Employee - Solutions Analyst in Allen, TX

I worked at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I worked at Experian, many of us wore jeans to the office, and not just on Fridays. I'm not quite sure it was in-line with corporate policy, but no one ever said anything. My mentor was AMAZING, and we still keep in touch.

Cons

I had 6 different managers in 1 year. Recognition and appreciation were unheard of. There was a lot of tension between cross-functional teams, and overall morale was pretty low. The president of our group slashed budgets and often spoke of how the group was hemorrhaging money; and yet he flew first class and hired a private town car whenever we came to town. I saw that as a double standard.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Pick your Department Wisely

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large global company. Opportunity to travel in some areas. Finally in a growth mode after years of cutbacks. Some departments seem to have built strong teams who work well together. good community involvement for charity work

Cons

No recognition for actual performance of work - people with many years of service or above average reviewes are let go to support cuts. Looking to move out of California and in some cases entire departments are being replaced with new staff in Costa Rica, Texas or Chile or outsourced altogether. If you come in at a low salary, it is hard to get to market levels with the raise pool that is available every year. High pressure, low management support (some departments). Low morale some departments). Some charity photo shoots are not as they seem (last minute photo ops and not indicative of what really was happening but forced to fit around someones travel schedule).

Advice to Management

Look deeper into the cost cutting efforts you take to understand the impact to the business. Replacing entire teams 100% is fairly risky and you may have key people available to work in other areas. Secondly, don't blindly accept what you hear from your BU leads as true. do some digging to see exactly what your mangement is doing and saying before you believe it to be true. you are too far removed to get any valuable data as to what is going on.

IT Group

Former Employee - IT Group in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - IT Group in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian (More than 5 years)

Pros

If your ingrained in the group you can get away with doing very very little, and with no career skill advancement on your part. If your lucky, you can get a very good paycheck for doing nothing, and not even showing up to work. Heck get an IT management position and not even know what SDLC stands for. Or be a project manager and never have seen MS Project in your life.

Cons

Too many overpaid - underskilled staff sitting on their behinds. First level management protects their friends to protect their jobs. Front line management does not posses the knowledge or skill sets to understand the requests or requirements being presented, they are to rock the boat. Far too many uneducated and underskilled staff that have been protected for years and now that the real world has come knocking on their door, they are scared and complaining, Where else can you have a job for 10 plus years in IT without a degree, no certifications, no skill set improvement? Where else can you complain that you cant work from home most of the week? Where else can you come to work past nine, take a two hour lunch, (two hours because besides lunch I have to exercise or play volleyball) and leave before five pm. Most of the older employees act as if it is a high school clich.

Advice to Management

Clean up the dead wood sitting there in Schaumburg, you can remove half the IT group and would not see a difference - especially with the senior members. Stop calling people what they are not, a customer service representative is not a project manager, a solutions arch is not some coder who has managed to sit in the same chair for 15 years. A business analyst is not someone who just happens to have worked with the same workflow for 20 years but has not other knowledge or experience. You have a bunch of overpaid cry babies who need a dose of reality