There are newer employer reviews for Exponent

Exponent - Business Generation is critical for advancement; exciting fast-paced environment

Former Employee - Senior Managing Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
Former Employee - Senior Managing Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Exponent

Pros

Top notch technical engineers and scientists who are extremely smart and hard-working. High percentage of MS and PhD degrees from top universities. There is a great deal of freedom and flexibility if you are able to generate projects and bring in new business. There is an opportunity to advance rapidly (promotions and compensation) for the most successful who both generate new business and maintain high billable hours and personal utilization/personal revenue.

Cons

High pressure and large time committments across all levels of the company. Ability and expertise in managing people among upper management is highly variable (some are fantastic and others are marginal). Most are self-taught with some professional development. Noticed an increasing trend toward "up and out" over the last few years. Also see more tendency for even highly capable new staff to leave after 2-3 years.

Continue to pay attention to hiring the best and brightest at all levels. Try to see how improved project managers and group managers can be developed through mentoring and coaching. This requires a longer term focus and perspective.

57 Other Employee Reviews for Exponent (View Most Recent)

Testing the system

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Exponent

Pros

Good exposure to many fields. They invest in good equipment and great people. They hold the highest standards for a testing facility, engineering and science research center.

Cons

Cutthroat in the managment. Managers are engineers and scientists so they don't always have the best people skills or training. Senoir management makes everything about the bottom line. This would be a better company if it was privately held and not pubilcally held. The top 3 employees take a majority of any "bonus" pool, so that benefit becomes a bait and switch for all other employees.

Do better in treating your employees like valued assests not tools. There are a lot of alumni out there so you don't do very well with retention.

Dynamic and interesting work

Current Employee - Senior Scientist
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist

I have been working at Exponent full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I very much enjoy working on so many different projects that are relevant to issues happening in the world today. With only a few exceptions, everyone in the office is smart, friendly and highly motivated. There is a tiny bit of office politics but I think you get that everywhere. A nice mix of working together in teams but not always having to interact with other people. If you are diligent about how you use your time you can create a pretty good work life balance. It is definitely not expected that people work on weekends or stay late, just that you get your work done!

Cons

My one main gripe with Exponent is that there is little room for upward mobility. You really have to push to get facetime with clients and meeting clients on your own at conferences etc. is a matter of sheer luck. There are so many people that have been in the exact same position for 10+ years. That is really demoralizing. To make matters worse they often hire in upper management. I understand that people with contacts and experience in the field are able to bring in more clients but the company really needs to find a way to develop talent from within

Management puts in so much time and effort training new employees, they need a better structure of how to groom people for taking upper level positions. This will keep us more engaged. Take us to conferences and client meetings with you, insist that we learn how to use project management tools, talk to us about business development.

There are newer employer reviews for Exponent