There are newer employer reviews for Express

More concerned about money than employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hobart, IN
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hobart, IN

I worked at Express part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management within specific stores are great, you can possibly grow within the company.

Cons

Higher ups care only about money and have no problem showing you that.

Other Employee Reviews for Express

Not a good job. A lot of better sales associate jobs out there.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Express part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good music to listen to while working. Shifts are only 4 or 5 hours (rarely more; only if busy and have to stay late). It's a clean job. Not too much folding because most clothes are hung. Get to talk to people.

Cons

You get paid minimum wage with no commission, yet are still expected to be motivated to help meet segment goals. I've been there for over a year, with a variety of managers come and go, and I've found that most managers talk to you like a child when telling you what to do, and there isn't much respect from the managers for the sales associates. Also, you feel very expendable as a sales associate. The store is usually constantly hiring new sales associates, so you have to compete with many other workers for hours, and usually who gets the most hours comes down to favoritism rather than actual job performance (which really doesn't vary too much between sales associates). Also, the hours aren't consistent at all. If the store doesn't expect to make much money that week, the sales associates won't get many hours. This is why a lot of the sales associates are people that have other careers and just use Express as a side job. As far as the way Express wants its sales associates to interact with the customers, it can get pretty awkward and unnatural. Most people that shop in the store really don't want bothered, but Express wants its sales associates to talk to every customer that goes in the store, whether they need help or not. If you're in the front of the store, you have to try to yell out a greeting to every customer that walks in, which becomes awkward because most customers aren't paying attention or are actually trying to avoid being greeted. Also, although not enforced, Express wants its sales associates to knock on fitting room doors while the customers are in there, to see if they need a different size or something. The result is a lot of awkward and unnatural interactions with customers in your shift. In conclusion, it's not a job that one should solely depend on for income, even as a part-time job. The hours are just too inconsistent and the pay is just way too low. There are so many better retail sales associate jobs out there that I would have a hard time recommending this job to anyone, unless they were in a jam and their options were severely limited.

Advice to Management

Managers need to stop talking to the sales associates like they're children. A lot of the sales associates are intelligent college kids with bright futures and are only working there to make some money over break or on the weekends to have some spending money during school. Also, you need to either significantly raise wages or add a commission. The low pay, inconsistent hours, lack of commission, and low respect level from managers makes for a sales associate that feels unappreciated and has almost no motivation to make sales, or even remain with the company for that reason.

2. Worked at Express Mens

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

got to see all of the clothes before they went out onto the floor, had the opportunity to buy any of the new clothes before they went onto the floor, management wasn't that bad, learned a lot about mens clothes

Cons

wasn't on the womens side so couldn't shop while I worked

Advice to Management

if I say I need a day off then I would like it off because I requested it for a reason