There are newer employer reviews for Express

Stressful work environment, low morale

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ
Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discount off merchandise (initial purchase upon hire is pretty high), middle of the road pay for a sales associate at a clothing chain such as Express

Cons

I worked as a seasonal sales associate here, and though I only worked for one month, I hated every minute of it. They made us wear headsets, and every 3-4 hours, near the end of every "goal" period, the manager would chastise us for not selling enough, despite the fact that very few people came into the store during those times. I think the worst part was that it wasn't a face-to-face verbal communication. It was an extremely passive aggressive warning in the headset that you could not escape.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. My first time in retail and it has been a really good experience.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Lead

I have been working at Express part-time (More than a year)

Pros

30% discount on everything except clearance. They pay close attention to talent. If you do what you're supposed to do and there is an opening for management they will recommend you. You don't need a degree in sales and they treat you with respect. You can grow with the company. We are a team. I love they're clothes!

Cons

$8.50 minimum hourly wage to start, not a lot of hours, hours are based on how much money the store makes and because of the amount of employees on the roster, you may only get 4-8hrs a week. :-( Employees cannot combine coupons with discount and are encouraged to use discount instead of coupons. You don't get commission. Part time Sales lead only gets $10/hr (to start but they may offer more based on experience) They don't like to say how much management gets paid, it's not allowed apparently so you won't know exactly what you're working towards.

Advice to Management

Tell employees the benefits of staying and growing with the company. How much are you all getting paid?? People work harder when they know that it is worth it.

2. Good people, great place. Good part-time job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best thing about working at Express part-time is that they can't schedule you outside of your availability, no matter how limited. Oh, except for Black Friday. There's not a chance you'll ever get it off. Even if you request to do so a year in advance, or it's your birthday. Makes no difference. I quit my job because I couldn't get that weekend off and there was something else more important taking place that weekend than minimum-wage my job.

Cons

Management can be a pain in the side, and believe me, they have A LOT to do with your overall satisfaction with the job because they are responsible for managing just about your every move.

Advice to Management

Give some things a break.