Express
www.express.com Columbus, OH 5000+ Employees

Great people and energy.. but high sales goals, pushing credit, all for the same low pay as any retail

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe managers are great people
Most other associates are easy to get along with as well
Customers are nice and friendly for the most part
30% discount with occasional extra 15% off days
Flexible scheduling, great for students
Upbeat music to listen to all day
Generally a fun environment

ConsHigh sales goals every day, constantly trying to beat last year's sales
Must push credit and loyalty cards that most customers decline
Must push sales somewhat aggressively, with finding out what people are shopping for, "adding on" to fitting rooms, etc
As an associate you cannot be full-time and the little hours you have are unreliable and change weekly.
A big con is not enough training! Especially register training. It took me the longest time to get comfortable on the register, simply because the customer is always the priority and they are not willing to wait for you to fumble around until you actually learn, they would rather just have a more experienced cashier take over. What finally did the trick for me is I covered the shift of an experienced cashier and was finally forced to practice for a few hours straight. It's really not that hard if they just had more patience to train.
Another con to me is that with every new season, you feel pressured to buy new clothes to reflect the "projection, basically forcing you to spend the money you make on their own or similar-looking clothing just to keep up with the trends.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more patient with training associates how to use the register. Yes, the customers need an "efficient cash wrap experience," but wouldn't it be worth it in the long run to have one more reliable ringer?

It was great at first, then I quickly began to despise every moment I had to spend there.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Express part-time for less than a year

Pros: -I loved the reaction of customers when helping them pick out… Cons: -Lack of Hours( I went three weeks without a shift) -Minimum wage- Not worth the pay. Most high end stores pay more than $7.25 an hour. -The… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Fine as associate; managerial issues

I have been working at Express part-time for more than a year

Pros: If you get along with your co-workers, shifts are actually pretty fun. Decent retail gig. As with all retail,… Cons: The power-plays and drama among managers start to trickle down and affect associates, resulting in a pretty high turnover rate. The pay and benefits are… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Express.

Worked for Express? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Express reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Express CEO Michael A. Weiss. All reviews posted anonymously by Express employees.