Express

There are newer employer reviews for Express

Not so bad

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waco, TX
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waco, TX

I worked at Express part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is usually up to working with you and your schedule and if you need off you can usually get it no problem. The discount is pretty good and it's a smaller store so you don't have the issues of a bigger one.

Cons

Not so great at hiring employees, so the bad hires would quit leaving the good ones to pick up the slack. Sometimes management would just disappear or not be conscious of time and make associates stay longer than scheduled.

Hire reliable people and people who are going to represent the brand and the store well. Be careful of having favorites.

806 Other Employee Reviews for Express (View Most Recent)

Waste of time

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Express part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount
    I actually liked it...on the days I was scheduled to actually work
    Nice for someone who likes working around clothes
    Didn't have to wear a uniform

Cons

-Call in shifts are the worst. I only worked there for 5 weeks before I had to quit because I was making no money. For about 3 weeks my entire schedule was call ins but every time I called in, I was told I wasn't needed. So for about 3 weeks, despite the fact I had a job, I wasn't working & not making any money. It especially irked me because during my interview I asked how many hours a week do people in my position get. It was obviously a lie. I would not have taken the job if I had of known that I'd be working 1 shift a week.
    -Management encouraging tricking customers or lying to them. I felt really uncomfortable just signing someone up for the rewards program without their permission. I just think it's underhanded & completely unnecessary.
    -Although I liked that we didn't have to wear a uniform, I disliked that we had to wear their jeans. Their jeans are 90 dollars, I don't get paid enough to wear their clothes!
    -& as far as the whole "work/life balance"....yeah, it is balanced in a bad way. you don't work enough hours to make enough money to have a social life!

Give associates more shifts. If you know you can't afford more hours, stop hiring more people. The point of a job is so that you can have money to take care of yourself. & working here, no one is able to do that, except maybe managers (who get most of the hours).

For teenagers only.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Aventura, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Aventura, FL

I have been working at Express part-time (more than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of other than great friends to work with.

Cons

The pay, scheduling, and management is built around milking the employees for as little pay as possible and pushing them so the management team can make their bonuses off of their work.

For God's sake, give something to the (retail) employees for their work. Express does absolutely nothing for their store employees (not management). You give it all to managers who work them like slaves to make a dinky bonus. Stop trying to fool employees into thinking the "employee discount" is really an employee discount when you make that money back from their hourly wages with profit on top of it. A bagger at grocery store makes more money than your sales associates and they have less to deal with. I have actually told people to go be a bagger when they ask about working retail with Express. The opportunities would probably be better there anyways. I loved the people I worked with, couldn't stand the corporate attitude towards the little people who work so hard to make Mr. Weiss and everyone above store manager so rich. I'm not writing this to the management anyways, I'm writing for anyone who wants to be empowered and feel like they work for a company that actually recognizes them and believes in their success. I want to let you know Express will not be that place for you.

There are newer employer reviews for Express