Express

www.express.com
  www.express.com
There are newer employer reviews for Express

Good part time work for school

I worked at Express part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a good company to work for during college. It affords flexible hours and offers a competitive discount policy.

Cons

Pay is very entry level through Sales Lead level.

725 Other Employee Reviews for Express (View Most Recent)

Great first job!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Novi, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Novi, MI

I worked at Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment, Great Staff, fun to work with other young people,Everyone is very positive!

Cons

Bad hours, Work Holidays. Bad Pay.

Promote from within!

Most stressful job of my entire life.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The access to latest trends and the discount were really nice. I also learned a lot about fashion and how to take care of nice clothing. That's about it. I love the brand and I still do, that's why I wanted to work there and I did enjoy it for a while and I made some good friendships from it.

Cons

Micro-managing was a serious problem. Instead of working or helping us, management would walk the store to make sure we were constantly working. It was extremely stressful to have to be looking behind our backs all the time.

The pressure to have everything looking *perfect* was extremely difficult. We would stay hours 4-5 past close and be expected to be "energetic and perky" even if we left the store at 2am and had to be back at 10.

Everyone would only be scheduled small 3-4 hour shifts. The theory was that if we worked shorter shifts we wouldn't get tired and would work harder. It barely made my trip worth while when I was scheduled for a 3 hour shift.

My store manager would talk about people in the store, Calling them names or accusing them of stealing over the walkies we always had to wear. It was super embarrassing if I was with a customer not sure if they just heard my store manager call someone "ug-o"

If I wanted to "leave the floor" even to use the restroom I would have to ask my manager for permission. It was super embarrassing and I felt like a child when I asked to go to the back she'd exclaim "why.."

Getting paid minimum wage for this job was insulting. the least they could do was offer some type of commission per transaction to keep worth ethic up. We were expected to do Commission based work for the state minimum. I would constantly be hounded to sell more credit cards, and borderline harass customers for it. We were expected to ask three times, even if the customer directly instructed "No.. and please don't ask again" We were required to ask at least two more times. It was really embarrassing to have to ask over and over when they were VERY CLEARLY not interested. If they were denied we couldn't even offer them anything for their time wasted and their hurt credit score. This would make customers pretty upset.

I actually worked at two locations. One at school and one back home during the summer. After Summer break I decided I couldn't take the stress of this job anymore and immediately found something a lot better.

Help the store more than micro managing. Train employee's to make them seem like they're not disposable or just a number. Stop acting like you're better than everyone else because you're a manager at "Express" like it's so prestigious.

There are newer employer reviews for Express