Not for everyone

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Senior Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good bonus potential Generous Personal Time off Lots of internal opportunities Aggressive performance review/calibration to weed out non-performers Diversity - mainly women >50%, but no international diversity Work from home option Top management is very down to earth and accessible Many employee discounts Don't believe all the sour reviews by former Medco people

Cons

If you are below manager level - it is a sweat shop. Limited training opportunities for professional advancement. Company is cheap when it comes to investing for the long term especially IT reources. IT solutions are half baked and always need a bandaid. Most operations departments run a shadow IT organization by hiring their own IT people to make ends meet as IT department is very difficult to work with. No long term thinking/goals by upper management, after August everyone is only concerned about 1/1. Forced ranking (GE style) of bottom 10% eats away any team work or morale - no reason to cooperate or not play politics with co workers. Only way to get Stretch performance ranking is if you do not have family and willing to put in 80 hours a week all year, not uncommon to see divorce rates peaking after major integrations. It gets crazy during holidays before 1/1. ESI was the only game in town during recession, so it could afford to pay only 70-80% market rate of base salary. But with no bonus in 2012 and employment picture better in St. Louis, attrition will eat away the talent. Expect to see mass layoffs at all levels after the Medco integration is completed in early 2014 to compensate for loss of UHC account and to achieve promised synergy savings to Wall Street. Also the end of patent cliff savings does not bode well for 2014. Health Care Reform might save the day. ESI will dominate the PBM industry in the future like Walmart, but like Walmart it may not be the best place for everyone. The dependence on government programs will increase - DOD, Medicare and Health Care Reform. Company management will complain about Obama and government but without the government programs, ESI will be less than half its current size.

Advice to Management

Stop recognizing only people who work crazy hours to put out emergency fires. Stop and ask why it was not prevented in the first place , especially upper management. This gives no incentive to improve processes as everyone likes to keep a weak process handy to prove their worth before review time (1/1). I have not seen any VPs removed due to forced ranking, have seen some who should be held accountable for no strategic thinking.

Other Employee Reviews for Express Scripts

Long time very disgusted employee

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paycheck delivered on time and they are so busy trying to learn new system they forget about managing the people so you have a lot of down time to search for a new job.

Cons

Pay is horrible, health benefits are very expensive, the express values are a joke, very inexperienced management. Culture is to set a policy and then figure out how to side step the policy. Rating system or force ranking is ridiculous.

Advice to Management

My clients value my many years of experience and there is a reason I make 25% above the mrp for my position, I earned it! Remember you get what you pay for. I think the employees should be able to force rank the vps and senior directors. That would be something to offer to people leaving in mass

As a former Medco employee,hate the changes ESI has brought

Current Employee - Floor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Floor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have a jobabout all Ican say

Cons

hours expected are brutal,pto time does not got towards overtime..earn pto so why be penalized for using it? Some people seem to get away with everything while the good employees are ridden to give more and more.

Advice to Management

Be communicative to employees on floor...remember we are the ones busting our ass for you