Express Scripts

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood bonus potential
Generous Personal Time off
Lots of internal opportunities
Aggressive performance review/calibration to weed out non-performers
Diversity - mainly women >50%, but no international diversity
Work from home option
Top management is very down to earth and accessible
Many employee discounts
Don't believe all the sour reviews by former Medco people

ConsIf you are below manager level - it is a sweat shop. Limited training opportunities for professional advancement. Company is cheap when it comes to investing for the long term especially IT reources. IT solutions are half baked and always need a bandaid. Most operations departments run a shadow IT organization by hiring their own IT people to make ends meet as IT department is very difficult to work with.

No long term thinking/goals by upper management, after August everyone is only concerned about 1/1. Forced ranking (GE style) of bottom 10% eats away any team work or morale - no reason to cooperate or not play politics with co workers. Only way to get Stretch performance ranking is if you do not have family and willing to put in 80 hours a week all year, not uncommon to see divorce rates peaking after major integrations. It gets crazy during holidays before 1/1.

ESI was the only game in town during recession, so it could afford to pay only 70-80% market rate of base salary. But with no bonus in 2012 and employment picture better in St. Louis, attrition will eat away the talent.
Expect to see mass layoffs at all levels after the Medco integration is completed in early 2014 to compensate for loss of UHC account and to achieve promised synergy savings to Wall Street. Also the end of patent cliff savings does not bode well for 2014. Health Care Reform might save the day.

ESI will dominate the PBM industry in the future like Walmart, but like Walmart it may not be the best place for everyone. The dependence on government programs will increase - DOD, Medicare and Health Care Reform. Company management will complain about Obama and government but without the government programs, ESI will be less than half its current size.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop recognizing only people who work crazy hours to put out emergency fires. Stop and ask why it was not prevented in the first place , especially upper management. This gives no incentive to improve processes as everyone likes to keep a weak process handy to prove their worth before review time (1/1). I have not seen any VPs removed due to forced ranking, have seen some who should be held accountable for no strategic thinking.

Long time very disgusted employee

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Paycheck delivered on time and they are so busy trying to learn new system they forget about… Cons: Pay is horrible, health benefits are very expensive, the express values are a joke, very inexperienced management. Culture is to… Advice to Senior Management: My clients value my many years of experience and there is a reason I make 25% above the mrp for my position, I earned it!… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

The purpose of health care is to provide health to patients too.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Washington, DC

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: They are very large. Slightly better IT than accredo/medco. They aggressively… Cons: changing policies and practices that have proven themselves to be patient advantageous and profitable. removal of Accredo… Advice to Senior Management: If your goal is to increase the number of patients, doesn't that mean you will need more nurses as the patients increase? If the model… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Express Scripts.

Worked for Express Scripts? Contribute to the Community!