Express Scripts

www.express-scripts.com
There are newer employer reviews for Express Scripts

Only Certainty is Constant Change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Health Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, 401K with Employer Matching Contributions, Employee Stock Purchase Plan. Wonderful people to work with. Strong company to work for. Pay could be worse.

Cons

Large number of lay offs due to merger. Pay could be better. Lack of communication between departments. Uncertain of future business plans. Value of employees takes a back seat to making the numbers. Limited opportunities to advance. Company more likely to hire from outside than to promote from within.

Make the most of employee talent, skill, and education to offer more career advancement opportunities within the organization.

858 Other Employee Reviews for Express Scripts (View Most Recent)

ESI is Sweatshop; Senior Management is Incompetent

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are NO positives at ESI. Senior Management (VP on up) is incompetent and they create an oppressive and toxic work environment.

Cons

The place is a sweatshop and is so inefficient with archaic and redundant processes; everything is done with Excel and PowerPoint. Many (not all, but probably 50%) Legacy-ESI folks are down-right rude and disrespectful. There is no growth opportunity which is evidenced by the poor tenure. Average tenure for employees appears to be somewhere in the neighborhood of three to five years, whereas legacy-Medco average tenure was better than 10 years.

No one can make a decision. Everything is decision by committee. It is necessary to have a meeting to make a decision. And you cannot just have a meeting, you must have at least several pre-meetings.

Employee morale among legacy-Medco folks is non-existent. We no longer have any sense of purpose, value, ownership, etc. We know management does not value us even though we built systems that they are now moving their clients to. Interestingly enough, after reading some of the reviews on this site, it is clear many legacy-ESI folks feel the same way.

Medical Benefits are terrible. Premium has nearly doubled from last year and I now have a family deductible of approx. $4,000. Time-Off policies are right out of a union shop - we no longer have an allotment of days that we can use as of 01/01; now we must accrue days before we can take time off. Therefore, if you do not "carry" days from the previous year and you are sick the first few days of January, you will NOT get paid; your paycheck will be "short".

Staffing model (at least in IT) is 25 - 40 percent employee with the remainder made up of contingents (half of which are off-shore). They have employees reporting to consultants and consultants making business decisions.

Is all of this what an educated tenured professional should expect? Of course not. It is disgraceful, and Senior Management should be embarrassed and ashamed but they are not and will not be; they simply do not care.

Stop calling the ESI-Medco merger an acquisition. Let's call it for what it really was - Dave Snow sold us out; he sold-out Medco; he sold-out Medco's stockholders and screwed 24K employees & their families.

Medco strove for Excellence; ESI strives for Mediocrity.

ESI will never achieve the greatness that was Medco; you should not even try.

Pay is decent; benefits are good; multiple corporate cultures--some good, some not; hard to advance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like project management and lots of overtime.
    Good benefits; some work-from-home opportunities.

Cons

You have to change jobs within the company to make more money.
    It takes a year or more to remove bad managers.

Recognize the full skill-set of your people...avoid pigeon-holeing.

There are newer employer reviews for Express Scripts