Temporary Benefits Advisor - Medicare/Affordable Care Advisor

Current Employee - Temporary Benefits Advisor, Affordable Care Advisor in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Extend Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

cannot think of any pros for this company and am currently looking for another job as I am very embarrassed to work here there are people with criminal records as the company did not do a drug test or thorough background checker It is close to my home and I do not work weekends

Cons

no benefits except what you pay for on your own - only offers 10,000 max medical coverage that employees pay for! there are no agents who have worked anywhere else so we do not know what we are doing for the most part, very poor training that changes every day. Lots of supervisor arguments on the floor over affordable care, no one knows what they are doing. I have not been paid what they promised and my car has been vandalized in the parking lot. There was an incident of head lice in training and I have learned that I am not supposed to take calls in states where I do not have an insurance license (after I have been doing this since August). Most people only sell the Medigap plan which is the most expensive one for Medicare because they did not pay attention to the carrier plans so the customers are stuck. The management is nonexistent and the call center is very dirty (carpets, chairs and desks have not been cleaned and the equipment breaks down frequently). The company does not honor the bonus or pay structure and there is no longevity. I am hoping to get another job soon.

Advice to Management

HR and Compliance Managers are a mess, they tend to hide and they look for ways to fire you if you have a question - get rid of both and start over

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Growing Pains, Cyclical Business

Former Employee - Operations in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Operations in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Extend Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is growing and is doing well. There is lots of opportunity for advancement in the call center operations.

Cons

The company is experiencing growing pains and hires a lot of seasonal workers. They are not good at recognizing their employees for a job well done and they do not have a defined career path for their employees.

Advice to Management

Promote your internal candidates and recognize them for a job well done.

Great Company with potential for outstanding growth, but hiring practices can be perceived as unethical.

I have been working at Extend Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extend Health provides a services that companies are looking for. Their service assists companies to reduce their risk and their bottom line of providing group insurance to their aging retirees. It's a great concept, and many more companies are coming on board to this concept. Competition is becoming more prevalent, so we must provide the best management and supervisory teams available. I initially loved the idea of Extend Health as compassion and unsurpassed customer service was a priority with EH. Change is great and it needs to happen in order for a company to grow and meet the upcoming needs or our clients, retirees, our company vision and retention of our client base. It is important, however, to keep in mind our one of our initial goals; Compassion and unsurpassed Customer Service. It is my hope is that with this change in company ownership and name that this piece isn't lost during the transition.

Cons

In the past year mid level positions have been filled by talented outside friends of a top manager rather than being filled by those who have been with the company through the many transitions, who have the talent and the knowledge of the industry. Hiring friends without the background in the industry can leave a drought in the necessary knowledge required for our business to grow and not continue to make the same mistakes made in prior years. Supervisors need to have the answers for their team. They need to work with other departments to ensure they are advising their team of the correct information. While hiring through referrals may be more efficient, it’s not necessarily the best for business or current employee morale.

Advice to Management

When a position is posted and candidates apply, take a look at the big picture and what that candidate can bring to the company or have already brought to the company. Top management hiring from the outside likens to starting over with a new seasonal Advisor or CSR during the Annual Election Period. I've seen this happen 5 times in the past 2 months. Why post the position if you already have someone that is guaranteed the job because they are friends with the head of the department. This seems to be an unethical practice that I hope is noticed by those higher up in the company. It has been noticed by those that were looked over and even by those who have not even applied. Be open about the changes that are taking place. You learn information from other employees but not from top management. This adds to the rumor mill and still only a few know what is going on. Why the secrecy? A weekly information post by Managers of each team would be a way to quell the never ending rumors.