Extended Stay America

There are newer employer reviews for Extended Stay America

Terrible Corp Leadership

Current Employee - Hotel Manager in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Hotel Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Live in Mgr. position had no rent or cost for living. It was like have an additional 20k on top of my salary

Cons

Terrible management structure. No proper training, noone cares about your professional development

care about the people who work for you.

161 Other Employee Reviews for Extended Stay America (View Most Recent)

Most Exploitative Job I've Ever Had

Former Employee - Housekeeper in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Extended Stay America part-time (less than a year)

Pros

* You get hired fast.
    * Cool co-workers.

Cons

* They cheat you on the time they give you to clean rooms by not classifying the rooms correctly and by not taking into account the time you need to stock your cart or take your breaks. Even though you take 20 minutes to stock your cart and 15 minutes to take your break by the end of the day you'll need to show that you cleaned a room every 30 minutes which means, off the top, 4 rooms will need to be cleaned in 15 minutes instead of the standard 30 to make up that time.... Most housekeepers don't take their 15 minute break because of this.

Also they don't care if you have to spend time:
    - doing laundry
    - running around to get things (missing items from rooms)
    - delivering laundry which you have to carry
    - taking out garbage, etc etc

* You have to also work at other ESA properties on different days, which are operated differently and when you start no one explains to you how it's different, so normal things you do at one hotel you get screamed at for doing at the other.

* Their employee onboarding is practically non-existent. They don't give you any documents, like the handbooks and such unless you are on them and ask for it.

* Classify rooms correctly

* Either stock our carts before we come to work or give us time to actually stock it.

* Not giving me time to take a break, is the same thing as SAYING that you don't want me to take a break, which is illegal and opens you up to a lawsuit.

Too Many in Senior Management (VPs) at Corporate Office Have no Clue how to actually Run the Hotels

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Low management turnover. Don't have to wear suit and tie.

Cons

Low Pay.
    Low Pay for hourly workers so hard to attract and retain quality individuals.
    Constantly introducing new policies, many of them not thought out. No respect for managers at hotels and none for staff.
    Talks about caring for staff, but actions are the opposite of what the senior managers say.
    Too many people in positions of power that have never run a hotel, especially a budget conscious brand.
    Let operations managers do their job and hire more sales managers to do theirs.

Listen to your employees. Spend some real money on employees and truly invest in the properties.

There are newer employer reviews for Extended Stay America