Extended Stay America

www.extendedstayamerica.com
  www.extendedstayamerica.com
There are newer employer reviews for Extended Stay America

Enjoyed working there until recent ownership

I worked at Extended Stay America full-time

Pros

I enjoyed the people who I worked with

Cons

Upper management is too concerned about going public

Remember your associates. They are the ones who bring results

136 Other Employee Reviews for Extended Stay America (View Most Recent)

Worst Management

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Extended Stay America part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great co-workers. First year I had a great manager but she was replaced with a really bad one .

Cons

management overworking employees, low pay, management expects employees to be available 24/7 and only schedule for 12 hrs. a week. Poor marale because of manager's callousness and company doesn't have good employee relations

stop treating employees like they are a "dime a dozen"

Could be alright for some but too many problems for me

I have been working at Extended Stay America (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many nice guests

Some managers and associates are excellent and would do anything for you

Ability to make extra money through rewards program

Complimentary stays for employees

Cons

This company is CHEAP to the point that few can comprehend. The hotels are poorly built, everything they buy was acquired from the absolute lowest bidder. Then they are shocked when things break.

A recent company video completely belittled employees and noticeably decreased morale at
    the hotel.

Taking coffee from the breakfast bar or using one of their cups for drinking water is considered employee theft.

2.5% maximum raise per year equals about 20-30 cents per hour for associates or about $750-1000 for managers unless a vice president approves it (which almost never happens)! That doesn't even make up for inflation.

They talk about promoting internally but in reality most of the managers that they hire are friends or family of the district manager or regional director.

Regional directors and sales directors are always talking down to associates. I nearly walked out because of it one day and that is very unlike my character.

Most of the good managers that I knew have either been let go, found new jobs or are looking. I could only name one manager of about twenty or so I worked with over time who actually seemed to genuinely like his job. Who wants to be on call 24/7 for about 30-35K per year? BTW you can expect at least 5-6 calls per day

One rude customer can cancel out ten nice ones. I have actually been threatened by angry guests.

Guests would do disgusting things in their rooms and housekeepers would refuse to clean it so either a GSR or manager would have to clean it.

Be prepared to do housekeeping, regardless of what they hire you for...Finding and keeping quality housekeepers is next to impossible. It is not uncommon that managers would have to come up to the hotel on the weekends to clean rooms because someone called off. GSRs and maintenance also get forced to clean rooms a lot.

Chain is horribly inconsistent. Some of their hotels are actually pretty nice and well run but some are unbelievably awful.

Stop being so cheap and remember who actually operates your hotels. There is a huge gap between operations and the corporate office. There is a huge fear of the corporate office at the hotel level. Managers and associated below director level are overworked and underpaid look in to giving some decent raises or expecting less.

There are newer employer reviews for Extended Stay America