Exxon Mobil
www.exxonmobil.com Irving, TX 5000+ Employees

The Chosen Ones vs Everyone Else

Torrance, CA

Pros+Financial stability of company
+Good culture of working together
+Industry leader in technology
+Strong safety culture

ConsExxonMobil's entire corporate culture is a function of its ranking system. In a nutshell everyone in an range of jobs is force-ranked. So you are either listed as the #1 employee, the #27 or the #100 or anywhere in between. In theory it is an objective way to move the best people to the top and show the worst people the door. It's extremely political and is more of a popularity contest for everyone except maybe your own manager.

What is messed up is that if you are not in the top 10% then Exxon basically treats you like your career is completely worthless and you are lucky just to be there. I have worked at Exxon for about 10 years, I have ONLY been in the top 1/3 and was basically told "we're moving you to a job that you don't want and won't be good at, but we don't really care about you. Someone else needs to check a box and you are in the job that they need to check it."

Unfortunately, the whole system is run by the people that did well in it, so as far as they know the system works well. It promotes people that think, act and talk like them. They keep getting more and more money and better and more interesting jobs. As far as they're concerned all the other people in the company should count themselves lucky just to have jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementExxonMobil really needs to realize that people are not a commodity product. The rank system, while flawed, could remain but they really need to evaluate the outputs of it. In a bad economy people will stay around just because they don't want to risk not having a job. In a good economy though, everyone will jump ship to any other company that pays them well and actually respects their employees.

The best of companies the worst of companies

Senior Research Engineer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Exxon Mobil

Pros: Research freedom relatively high compared to other industries & competitors High… Cons: Ranking process is highly political, not based on performance or impact Pay is 'just enough to… Advice to Senior Management: Employees are human beings. The ranking process is biased and discourages 70% of the workforce and makes them… More

Good for a few years, but quickly grows stagnant.

Laboratory Technician (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Exxon Mobil

Pros: Good experience with a well known company. If you put a lot of… Cons: There are little to not growth opportunities, no matter how competent you are. It feels very stagnant and… Advice to Senior Management: I realize there isn't much management can do to move people, but they could try to give the impression… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Exxon Mobil.

Worked for Exxon Mobil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Exxon Mobil reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Exxon Mobil CEO Rex W. Tillerson. All reviews posted anonymously by Exxon Mobil employees.