Exxon Mobil
www.exxonmobil.com Irving, TX 5000+ Employees

Solid company with decent work opportunities but conforming management that only like to do things a certain way

Instrument Engineer (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Exxon Mobil

ProsExxonMobil was a great place to start your career. I spent 4 years at the refinery, and for the most part I was pretty satisfied. However, I knew I was not a lifer, as with most of the younger engineers, no one really seems to want to stay and work for the company beyond 5 to 10 years. Working for Exxon is kind of a catch 22: you are well compensated, work conditions are good, but everyone always talks about leaving. Some of the Pros:
-Well compensated, big raises year in and year out
-Great benefits-7% 401k match, full tuition reimbursement (except they changed the rules for MBA recently)
-Plenty of formal training
-Opportunities to travel
-Work on exciting and new problems every day; never the same (in a refinery)
-Amazing pension if you can make that long
-On site gym, full basketball court

ConsI think the biggest problem facing this company is dealing with Gen X and Y work force who want the social comforts such as flexible work schedule, snacks, freedom, creativity, etc. The company is so old school in that it believes that compensation is every when it comes to a workplace, and so in my opinion, you will see a lot of people, especially younger employees exiting for jobs. It amazed me how so many people from 30 year vets to new hires complained so much about working for the company. Several managers would often joke with younger engineers to "get out now." The other older work force seemed "trapped" by the compensation and promise of a pension, or else they might leave too. Additionally, the management at the refinery was for the most part awful. Yes, they were smart, and understood all the risks to their decision making, but were often overly conservative, afraid to spend money, and conformed to what every other manager and person did. I won't go on too much, but here are the cons, which I believe outweigh the pros.
-Conforming management-to move up, you have to be just like the last guy
-No creativity or innovative approach
-Management is completely out of tune with the plant
-Top down approach to management decisions
- Poor company morale
-A very secretive and political ranking system that determines promotion and raises
-Terrible about communicating your future moves and growth

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to get better leaders in management positions. They promote engineers to managers for their technical skills, but it's clear that management are not strong at managing people. Management are too focused on the bottom line, and making "the right decision" which leads to a lot of overly conservative decisions. You are put in this position to take risk, so trust your employees to do the right thing.

Gas and Power Marketing Houston, TX

Analyst (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Exxon Mobil

Pros: -Exceptional pay and benefits -Great support from senior management in the on-boarding process. I got to sit down and spend an hour… Cons: -Very narrow industry develops a specialized skill set -Not a lot of workforce diversity -The Texan mentality is either for you or it isn't...you have to decide… Advice to Senior Management: Innovation! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

ExxonMobil Global Services Company, Controllers Group

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I worked at Exxon Mobil

Pros: Fast paced culture, friendly on the outside. A very large… Cons: Training is dependent on where you are, some in Fairfax still believe that they are working for Mobil and will dispell any direction from the… Advice to Senior Management: I'd recommend training and reports be standardized-and done from Houston as much as possible. Too much of the old Mobil culture and at times "good… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Exxon Mobil.

Worked for Exxon Mobil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Exxon Mobil reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Exxon Mobil CEO Rex W. Tillerson. All reviews posted anonymously by Exxon Mobil employees.