There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil International

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil International

Pros

Good company to work for, good salary, training provided, talented people, diversity, team-based, work flexibility, career development, mentor program, performance base

Cons

I don't think of something that I do not like so far in this, but may be they are a little bit consevative.

Keep doing the good job. Keep focusing on talented people.Try not to let your experienced young talented people to quit.

103 Other Employee Reviews for ExxonMobil International (View Most Recent)

ExxonMobil Production company pros and cons

Former Employee - Property/Title Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Property/Title Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil International

Pros

ExxonMobil seems to be a highly ethical company (regardless of what the media tend to report). My experience there was very good, and I felt like the management listened to the needs of the employees. The compensation and benefits package was above average for the industry, and raises were merit-based which provided a great opportunity for new employees to "prove" themselves and be rewarded for it. There was also a general sense of teamwork among most of the people in my department (although I heard that was not the case in all departments).

Cons

The oil and gas industry is still very much an "old boys' club," and ExxonMobil is no exception. Since the company has been around for over 100 years there is a tendency to do things the way they've always been done even if it's out-dated or inefficient. This stifles employees' creativity and makes them robots. Management likes to use a lot of buzzwords and talk about "work-life balance," but it's apparent that asking for a flexible schedule or taking too much maternity leave are still frowned upon (and, as a result, have a negative impact on merit raises and promotion).

Know what your employees actually do on a day-to-day basis. Analysts with the same title and pay may have drastically different workloads and responsibilities. Try to even these out as much as possible. Don't be afraid to fire people who are lazy. Hard-working employees resent you for just looking the other way when someone is not doing his/her job. Try to keep the negative employees from dominating every meeting. This drags everyone down and results in decreased productivity. If you SAY you support work-life balance and flexible schedules, then SUPPORT work-life balance and flexible schedules. These don't have to be entitlement programs. It's ok to have people earn these benefits, but then don't penalize them if they choose to use the benefit that they've earned.

ExxonMobil doesn't have a clue because it only listens and promotes people that drink the kool-aid.

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil International

Pros

Well Paid, Flexibility in Workplace (which means you can go to the doctor when you need to, but you have to get extra, special permission to work from home, even when fuel prices are over $4 per gallon), solid security and control measures. Global work and workplace opportunities.

Cons

Clandestine management decisions, including career choices, "command and control"-style management, inconsistency (we need new ideas, but can't get beyond year-2000 thinking), low-level leadership panics due to overbearing (and out-of-touch) senior management, lack of vision, lack of stated goals, lack of communication, management immune from hearing feedback from employees due to forced ranking, conducted by supervisors needing the feedback, that determines ones employment status from year to year -- because retribution is always a possibility, despite the controlled nature of the process.

Open up job postings from the clandestine S&D process and allow people to compete for good jobs and opportunities. The feedback alone from folks avoiding terrible supervisors/management will be enough to warrant change and employee empowerment. Eliminate the backward ideas behind "span of control" and "forced ranking" that deteriorate the camaraderie and teamwork necessary to make the workplace enjoyable. Reward out-of-the-box thinking that doesn't fit in the perfect "I'll promote those that think like me" philosophy that's running rampant in the organization that demoralizes the people.

There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil International

Worked for ExxonMobil International? Contribute to the Community!