Great compensation, weak career development.

Former Employee - Automotive Lubricants & Specialties  in  Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Automotive Lubricants & Specialties in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at ExxonMobil International

Pros

Compensation is amazing. You will not be able to find another job in any other field (given commensurate experience) that will compensate you as well as XOM will. Their 401k match is unheard of and in an uncertain economic environment, offering a pension is unthought of. However, XOM proudly offers a pension program for it's employees.

Whenever a relocation is involved XOM will provide more than adequate funds to do so. If a relocation is required while within in the company, it is absolutely impossible to take a loss on selling your home.

Cons

ExxonMobil's company culture is the more conservative than anything I had imagined. While management advertises a good balance between work and personal life, the successful employees at the company do not have a personal life.

Career development is too "old-school". You're ranked among peers and promotions are decided by a closed door committee. Job openings are not announced within in the company until they have been filled.

Working for the company requires you to move every 3-5 years to take a new position. While it's possible to stay in the same position and location, doing so will hinder your ability for increased compensation.

Other Reviews for ExxonMobil International

Don't stay too long

Current Employee - IT Support  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - IT Support in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ExxonMobil International

Pros

Pay check
    Looks good on a resume.

Cons

Every year you could make less than the year before if you are a contractor.
    Last year they cut our pay seven percent, mid contract.
    Management gives safety lectures that a 10 year old would find condescending.
    You get a new manager every two years.
    Don't expect opportunity for advancement,
    You have to follow so many ill conceived processes to get the simplest task accomplished.
    Hard work goes unrewarded.

Listen

Better than my expectations!

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ExxonMobil International

Pros

At my location, the people with whom I work are very friendly, helpful, and team spirited. There are a lot more team building activities than I had expected before I started working here. There is a great focus on safety in the workplace, and the company is committed to ensuring its employees' wellbeing. The pay is competitive within the industry and has a lot of potential to grow according to your performance.

Cons

The company ranks its employees but doesn't share your specific place in rank to you. They will tell you what bracket in which you fall (top third, bottom third etc), and your compensation is tied to your rank position. (This is only a con for the poor performers!)

Ensure that all employees in a management role set clear expectations to their direct reports - including expectations for hours and responsibilities.

There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil International.

Worked for ExxonMobil International? Contribute to the Community!