ExxonMobil

www.exxonmobil.com
  www.exxonmobil.com
There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Production company pros and cons

Former Employee - Property/Title Analyst in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Property/Title Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

ExxonMobil seems to be a highly ethical company (regardless of what the media tend to report). My experience there was very good, and I felt like the management listened to the needs of the employees. The compensation and benefits package was above average for the industry, and raises were merit-based which provided a great opportunity for new employees to "prove" themselves and be rewarded for it. There was also a general sense of teamwork among most of the people in my department (although I heard that was not the case in all departments).

Cons

The oil and gas industry is still very much an "old boys' club," and ExxonMobil is no exception. Since the company has been around for over 100 years there is a tendency to do things the way they've always been done even if it's out-dated or inefficient. This stifles employees' creativity and makes them robots. Management likes to use a lot of buzzwords and talk about "work-life balance," but it's apparent that asking for a flexible schedule or taking too much maternity leave are still frowned upon (and, as a result, have a negative impact on merit raises and promotion).

Know what your employees actually do on a day-to-day basis. Analysts with the same title and pay may have drastically different workloads and responsibilities. Try to even these out as much as possible. Don't be afraid to fire people who are lazy. Hard-working employees resent you for just looking the other way when someone is not doing his/her job. Try to keep the negative employees from dominating every meeting. This drags everyone down and results in decreased productivity. If you SAY you support work-life balance and flexible schedules, then SUPPORT work-life balance and flexible schedules. These don't have to be entitlement programs. It's ok to have people earn these benefits, but then don't penalize them if they choose to use the benefit that they've earned.

712 Other Employee Reviews for ExxonMobil (View Most Recent)

Great Compensation and Opportunities

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

The compensation is great. My salary has grew 33% in 18 months with the company and continues to be trending upward, even in the current economic downturn. The work is challenging and the opportunities are amazing. I mentioned I like to travel and they have sent me all over the world. I have been to 5 different countries since I have started and seem to find more and more reasons to travel. Working on world class projects that you can read about in the papers gives me a sense of accomplishment. The people I work with are very intelligent which makes the my day and work week more enjoyable.

Cons

The politics can be overwhelming but if you can play the game it can help your career.

Continue to remember John D. Rockefellers principles of running a business.

Good stable jobs

Current Employee - Engineering Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Engineering Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Exxon jobs are very stable. If you do well, there are lot's of opportunities for you to develop both technically and if you so desire, from the management perspective.

Cons

If you are an average performer, and this, in Exxon's mind is essentially 33% of the population (33% is below average, the remainder top), then you should be satisfied just doing what you're doing, and your salary will still be very good. If you want to make the really big bucks, and you're average, it's not going to happen. Perhaps, if you live in a low cost area, such as Houston or Baton Rouge, the average salary is going to take you very far, but in the DC area, this is not the case.

Keep doing a good job!