Great Compensation and Opportunities

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

The compensation is great. My salary has grew 33% in 18 months with the company and continues to be trending upward, even in the current economic downturn. The work is challenging and the opportunities are amazing. I mentioned I like to travel and they have sent me all over the world. I have been to 5 different countries since I have started and seem to find more and more reasons to travel. Working on world class projects that you can read about in the papers gives me a sense of accomplishment. The people I work with are very intelligent which makes the my day and work week more enjoyable.

Cons

The politics can be overwhelming but if you can play the game it can help your career.

Advice to Management

Continue to remember John D. Rockefellers principles of running a business.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good stable jobs

Current Employee - Engineering Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Engineering Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Exxon jobs are very stable. If you do well, there are lot's of opportunities for you to develop both technically and if you so desire, from the management perspective.

Cons

If you are an average performer, and this, in Exxon's mind is essentially 33% of the population (33% is below average, the remainder top), then you should be satisfied just doing what you're doing, and your salary will still be very good. If you want to make the really big bucks, and you're average, it's not going to happen. Perhaps, if you live in a low cost area, such as Houston or Baton Rouge, the average salary is going to take you very far, but in the DC area, this is not the case.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a good job!

2. Older ExxonMobil employees need to question their annual reviews aggressively with Human Resources.

Former Employee - DOA
    Former Employee - DOA

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

Salaries tend to be fair for the industry.

Cons

Their ratings and ranking system has major problems. It is consistently used by management to trim the workforce of older workers so they can hire younger recent graduates at lower salaries. Older employees are considered to have lower" potential" due to their age. Most non-managerial employees retire between 55 and 60 because they receive ever more negative annual reviews.

Advice to Management

Be much more diligent in insuring that managers do not use the employee rating and ranking system as a tool to meet buget targets. The system is draconian to say the least.