There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil

Solid company with decent work opportunities but conforming management that only like to do things a certain way

Former Employee - Instrument Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Instrument Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

ExxonMobil was a great place to start your career. I spent 4 years at the refinery, and for the most part I was pretty satisfied. However, I knew I was not a lifer, as with most of the younger engineers, no one really seems to want to stay and work for the company beyond 5 to 10 years. Working for Exxon is kind of a catch 22: you are well compensated, work conditions are good, but everyone always talks about leaving. Some of the Pros:
-Well compensated, big raises year in and year out
-Great benefits-7% 401k match, full tuition reimbursement (except they changed the rules for MBA recently)
-Plenty of formal training
-Opportunities to travel
-Work on exciting and new problems every day; never the same (in a refinery)
-Amazing pension if you can make that long
-On site gym, full basketball court

Cons

I think the biggest problem facing this company is dealing with Gen X and Y work force who want the social comforts such as flexible work schedule, snacks, freedom, creativity, etc. The company is so old school in that it believes that compensation is every when it comes to a workplace, and so in my opinion, you will see a lot of people, especially younger employees exiting for jobs. It amazed me how so many people from 30 year vets to new hires complained so much about working for the company. Several managers would often joke with younger engineers to "get out now." The other older work force seemed "trapped" by the compensation and promise of a pension, or else they might leave too. Additionally, the management at the refinery was for the most part awful. Yes, they were smart, and understood all the risks to their decision making, but were often overly conservative, afraid to spend money, and conformed to what every other manager and person did. I won't go on too much, but here are the cons, which I believe outweigh the pros.
-Conforming management-to move up, you have to be just like the last guy
-No creativity or innovative approach
-Management is completely out of tune with the plant
-Top down approach to management decisions
- Poor company morale
-A very secretive and political ranking system that determines promotion and raises
-Terrible about communicating your future moves and growth

Advice to Management

Need to get better leaders in management positions. They promote engineers to managers for their technical skills, but it's clear that management are not strong at managing people. Management are too focused on the bottom line, and making "the right decision" which leads to a lot of overly conservative decisions. You are put in this position to take risk, so trust your employees to do the right thing.

reviews filtered by
  1. Working in Human Resources/Payroll/Benfit Admin in America.

Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

Professional environment, decent benefits, support higher education, adequate training for employees, systematic way of doing things, there are clearly defined expectations

Cons

The company culture is bureacratic, secretive, and at times, goes overboard with some safety issues. They should have used on outside agency to gage employee concerns.

Advice to Management

Give people more opportunity, not just people hired off of college campuses or people with high-level experience. Also, there is too secrecy in regards to other job openings within the company.

Gas and Power Marketing Houston, TX

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

-Exceptional pay and benefits
    -Great support from senior management in the on-boarding process. I got to sit down and spend an hour each with 12-15 senior managers.
    -Houston is cheap! No state income tax
    -Opportunities to work abroad as soon as 18 months after you start

Cons

-Very narrow industry develops a specialized skill set
    -Not a lot of workforce diversity
    -The Texan mentality is either for you or it isn't...you have to decide that
    -Not a lot of change in the company operations. They do what they do, they do it well, they'll keep doing it.
    -Won't sponsor full time MBA, and it's very hard to convince them to let you take a leave of absence if you choose to sponsor it yourself.

Advice to Management

Innovation!

There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil