Solid company with decent work opportunities but conforming management that only like to do things a certain way

Former Employee - Instrument Engineer  in  Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Instrument Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

ExxonMobil was a great place to start your career. I spent 4 years at the refinery, and for the most part I was pretty satisfied. However, I knew I was not a lifer, as with most of the younger engineers, no one really seems to want to stay and work for the company beyond 5 to 10 years. Working for Exxon is kind of a catch 22: you are well compensated, work conditions are good, but everyone always talks about leaving. Some of the Pros:
-Well compensated, big raises year in and year out
-Great benefits-7% 401k match, full tuition reimbursement (except they changed the rules for MBA recently)
-Plenty of formal training
-Opportunities to travel
-Work on exciting and new problems every day; never the same (in a refinery)
-Amazing pension if you can make that long
-On site gym, full basketball court

Cons

I think the biggest problem facing this company is dealing with Gen X and Y work force who want the social comforts such as flexible work schedule, snacks, freedom, creativity, etc. The company is so old school in that it believes that compensation is every when it comes to a workplace, and so in my opinion, you will see a lot of people, especially younger employees exiting for jobs. It amazed me how so many people from 30 year vets to new hires complained so much about working for the company. Several managers would often joke with younger engineers to "get out now." The other older work force seemed "trapped" by the compensation and promise of a pension, or else they might leave too. Additionally, the management at the refinery was for the most part awful. Yes, they were smart, and understood all the risks to their decision making, but were often overly conservative, afraid to spend money, and conformed to what every other manager and person did. I won't go on too much, but here are the cons, which I believe outweigh the pros.
-Conforming management-to move up, you have to be just like the last guy
-No creativity or innovative approach
-Management is completely out of tune with the plant
-Top down approach to management decisions
- Poor company morale
-A very secretive and political ranking system that determines promotion and raises
-Terrible about communicating your future moves and growth

Need to get better leaders in management positions. They promote engineers to managers for their technical skills, but it's clear that management are not strong at managing people. Management are too focused on the bottom line, and making "the right decision" which leads to a lot of overly conservative decisions. You are put in this position to take risk, so trust your employees to do the right thing.

Other Reviews for ExxonMobil

Gas and Power Marketing Houston, TX

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

-Exceptional pay and benefits
    -Great support from senior management in the on-boarding process. I got to sit down and spend an hour each with 12-15 senior managers.
    -Houston is cheap! No state income tax
    -Opportunities to work abroad as soon as 18 months after you start

Cons

-Very narrow industry develops a specialized skill set
    -Not a lot of workforce diversity
    -The Texan mentality is either for you or it isn't...you have to decide that
    -Not a lot of change in the company operations. They do what they do, they do it well, they'll keep doing it.
    -Won't sponsor full time MBA, and it's very hard to convince them to let you take a leave of absence if you choose to sponsor it yourself.

Innovation!

ExxonMobil Global Services Company, Controllers Group

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

Fast paced culture, friendly on the outside. A very large and stable organization with a global presence.

Cons

Training is dependent on where you are, some in Fairfax still believe that they are working for Mobil and will dispell any direction from the Houston counterpart. Training recieved was one of two forms, a verbal dissertation lasting 20 minutes or more, without the ability to take notes, covering multiple key strokes one could never possibly remember OR a quick "Here is the report I prepare" now check this box saying you were trained. Overall, a very discombobulated group with some stars, some helfpu and some NOT. From the inside, it'd be hard to tell that this organization is making any money with their relentless pursuit of headcount reduction.

I'd recommend training and reports be standardized-and done from Houston as much as possible. Too much of the old Mobil culture and at times "good ole boys" network may prevent hard working new employees to succeed in this location. This is particularly true if the person who has been assigned to "train" you, on the countless nuances of her/his reports; is too busy to give you enough information to do your job. you'll check off all the boxes saying that everything was "taught" to you when in effect it was dumped on you. Spend enough time in this situation and the CYA process will start and end in your dismissal.

There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil.

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!