ExxonMobil

www.exxonmobil.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil

Great professional experience, odd culture in need of change, ranking...seriously?

Former Intern - Intern in Houston, TX
Former Intern - Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Professional Development, Pay, and Exposure to Fortune 5 Company. As an Intern, I had the opportunity to really challenge myself, work on some weaknesses, present to executives, and get great exposure to a large energy firm.

Cons

Hours and Culture. I worked 12-13 hour days regularly during my internship, including holidays and weekends. The culture is cultish. Very Texan and/or country. Those who don't drink the Kool-Aid and show outward enthusiasm and constant positivity are visibly frowned upon. Cosmopolitan, city-esque individuals with even a hint of a sarcastic sense of humor don't fit in well. Although there is some diversity, it's a bit of a smoke screen. The cultural and personality make-up of the company is very homogeneous.

Safety culture is extreme. There are literally parking 'hall monitors" with orange vests reminding you to use the handrail. The safety minute presentations about how to appropriately cut an avocado were too much.

The ranking system. Enron did something very similar to what XOM does in its ranking. Enough said.

Step-up recruiting outside of Texas and the usual non-Texas schools. Diversity recruitment should include different personalities and outlooks, not purely demographics. Culture is a bit cultish. Look to more progressive and culturally integrated companies like Chevron and Shell as a best practice benchmark.

768 Other Employee Reviews for ExxonMobil (View Most Recent)

Fantastic Place to work

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time

Pros

Absolutely everything, especially the new Houston campus

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

Good

Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee Benefits, Perks, Perquisites, work schedule

Cons

Strict Rules, boys club, not best listeners

You treat employees. But women see a boy's club culture

There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil