There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil

Built on the backs of interns and temps

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

You will find some really great people to work with in this company, depending on the department that you are in.

Cons

This company is built on the backs of interns and temps. I met several people who have been long-term temps for several years. One in particular has been a temp for over 5 years. I'm not talking about leave and come back...I mean 5 solid years in one position and NEVER asked to be a full-time employee. If the work is sub-par, the person should have been replaced. But, obviously that's not the case. If you talk to people, you'll find that there are many people who have been long-term and never even offered a full-time position. I'd venture to guess it's because they don't want to pay benefits and such.

Advice to Management

The way you show appreciation for the people who have showed you dedication is by offering them full-time opportunities, not by keeping them as a temporary employee indefinitely.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Gender discrimination... My boss treated my like garbage because I was a girl and then fired me when I got pregnant

Former Employee - Lube Technician/Customer Service in De Pere, WI
    Former Employee - Lube Technician/Customer Service in De Pere, WI

I worked at ExxonMobil part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only thing good about that job was I got paid and learning some new mechanical stuff. THAT'S IT...

Cons

The challenges of working at Mobil 1 existed because I was a girl. Management talked town to me as if i were stupid or beneath them. Everyone I worked with completely disregarded the relevant qualifications i possessed for the very position that I was hired for by having me do the work no one else wanted to do. Like mop the floors or clean the bathrooms. When I actually got a change to do the job that I was hired for… My boss would immediately undermined my actions or efforts by manipulating the situation leaving me in a position where I had to choice but to rely on my peers to do my job… So that way I'd always be inferior. My boss was controlling and discriminatory. When I got pregnant by boss all of a sudden treated me with constant dislike. He was always short with me and got extremely irritated by everything I did… Then at one point my boss told me that I had to sign a document stating that I willingly agree to a voluntary layoff starting at 3 months pregnant until after I had my baby. After that I regularly asked him about seeing the document and he always said that he didn't have it or he needed to get it still… I never saw that document because three weeks later I was fired for "poor work quality" without every justifying why or what I ever did. I called the Mobil headquarters and asked them about all of it… They told me there is no such thing as a voluntary layoff at 3 months pregnant company policy and that anyone that's pregnant are allowed to work all the way up till the day the baby is born if the mother chooses. So in a nutshell… I was discriminated against for both being a girl and being pregnant. I was was also wrongfully let go.

Advice to Management

Figure out through anonymous employee opinion which managers there are out there getting away with this kind of behavior towards the employees that they personally have direct control over. I'm sure I'm not the only one or the last one that's going to experience something like this.

2. It was a job that I really liked! I had a lot of regular customers.

Former Employee - Sales Team Member in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Team Member in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Early hours, plus you got off early in the day. So if you wanted to do things you still could.

Cons

Rude customers, sometimes you can't please everyone. But it doesn't hurt to try.

Advice to Management

Raises more often.