ExxonMobil

www.exxonmobil.com
There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil

Great people, but too many processes and very hierarchical

Current Employee - Global Services in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Global Services in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

People want to see you succeed
Very stable company and career
Great compensation and benefits

Cons

Creativity is sucked out due to the mindless processes and lack of initiates coming from the average employee

Listen to employees suggestions. Allow employees to pursue their passion rather than mandate their career path.

742 Other Employee Reviews for ExxonMobil (View Most Recent)

It was a challenging, fun, and rewarding experience.

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Macedon, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Macedon, NY

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

I was able to ask for help whenever I needed it. Everyone in my division was really friendly and competent in their work. Also, managers made sure that I met every important visitor. They even took me and the other intern to a baseball game, a plant, and a couple extravagant dinners.

Cons

You are given a lot of work and expected to do a good job. This is good for some people and bad for others. In other words, the work load is not for everyone.

A lot of managers are constantly moving from division to division to advance their career. I would say they should extend their stays at each division.

Great compensation, weak career development.

Former Employee - Automotive Lubricants & Specialties in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Automotive Lubricants & Specialties in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

Compensation is amazing. You will not be able to find another job in any other field (given commensurate experience) that will compensate you as well as XOM will. Their 401k match is unheard of and in an uncertain economic environment, offering a pension is unthought of. However, XOM proudly offers a pension program for it's employees.

Whenever a relocation is involved XOM will provide more than adequate funds to do so. If a relocation is required while within in the company, it is absolutely impossible to take a loss on selling your home.

Cons

ExxonMobil's company culture is the more conservative than anything I had imagined. While management advertises a good balance between work and personal life, the successful employees at the company do not have a personal life.

Career development is too "old-school". You're ranked among peers and promotions are decided by a closed door committee. Job openings are not announced within in the company until they have been filled.

Working for the company requires you to move every 3-5 years to take a new position. While it's possible to stay in the same position and location, doing so will hinder your ability for increased compensation.

There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil