There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil

Demoralizing

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Decent pay, 401k match, Opportunities are there but you need to know where to find them, Benefits are decent - insurance etc.

Cons

NO bonuses
Pigeonholed quickly - fast riser or slow mover
Bureaucracy
No input into personnel moves, company decides what is best for you
Be prepared to live in Houston

Please listen to people. Stale midlevel management (my manager had the same job for 20 years). And why no bonuses?

461 Other Employee Reviews for ExxonMobil (View Most Recent)

Lots of talk, little action.

Current Employee - IT Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Focus on safety. Very process driven. Many controls. Training is encouraged and supported. Small work groups. Many opportunities to work on global teams and make many overseas friendships. Upper management has a very high level of integrity and permeates this attitude throughout all the business processes. Most people that I interacted with were some of the most honest people I've ever met.

Cons

The technology is there, we just can't use all of it. The technology in use today is what other companies were using 8-10 years ago. Lots of very smart people, but very few SMEs (subject matter experts) due to frequent change of assignments. I originally viewed this to be very appealing, however, many employees typically have the attitude of "let's just do it this way...because in 3 years from now, we won't be in this group anymore, and it'll be someone else's problem". This results in only the very motivated people to become SMEs. There is almost zero automation....almost all processes must be done manually. Recurring meetings continually just talk about things, and changes take forever to implement.
    And....why won't upper management hurry up and own up to the consolidated campus in Spring TX, rather than let employees hear about it in the Houston Chronicle.

Be more open to change. Don't be afraid to use the technology already available in house. Listen/research more to industry best practices.

Enslaved

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Good Retirement at age 55, Job Security, Good Pay

Cons

Overtime is all the time and mandatory, they do not assist you when you need time off, Contract is up every 3 years risking potential strike or lockout, you are treated horribly, you work nights/weekends/holidays/days = 12-16 hour rotating shifts, you are put in "catch 22" scenarios on a daily basis, and with 10 supervisors telling you to do different things it makes work harder than it should be, the job is dangerous, and if something happens to you they find a way to make it your fault! Good Luck!

You'll have better production & reliability if your workers want to be here. Treat them better and make there job easier rather than creating more red tape on a daily basis to protect yourselves. I also believe that Exxon Mobil is a great Corporation but certain locations are better than others to work at. If you want to be happy here, do not be a Process Operator.

There are newer employer reviews for ExxonMobil

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!