Eze Software

There are newer employer reviews for Eze Software

Dynamic Company

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Eze Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Eze is a dynamic place with lots of changes. It's tough to get bored there even after years and years of employment there. The people working there are the biggest advantage. Everybody is very friendly.

Cons

The work/life balance can be better but then again Eze is in the financial services industry. If you're looking for a slow-paced work place, this is not the company for you.

97 Other Employee Reviews for Eze Software (View Most Recent)

Great people... for the most part.

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Eze Software as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were great. Junior developers were fresh out of college/grad school, and they were good fun to work and play (football/darts/foozball) with. A lot of the more senior developers were also chill and great to work with as well. Overall good company culture and camaraderie among the rank-and-file developers.

Decent pay (for an internship).

Cons

Training and dev meetings were often lame, mostly consisting of Skyping in and listening to someone talk about a PowerPoint slideshow.

Management is hit-and-miss. There were some truly awesome managers I worked with, with lots of insight into the company and industry, and I'm going to miss them. But then there are the others...

My manager, in particular, had poor managerial skills, relying on his "all-star" team to do great work for which he took credit. He had a dictatorial management style, requiring members of his team to drop whatever they were doing to attend to whatever task he wanted. He had poor communication skills, and he spent a lot of time rambling or off-topic in meetings. He sometimes made comments that could be construed as offensive, and could neither take nor give constructive criticism well. He tried to micromanage work relationships between his employees, and he expected his employees to work well beyond a 40-hour week.

There was not a good support system to handle the problems I was having with my manager. I wish we'd had a third party (such as an HR representative or another manager) present at the office to help facilitate this matter. Perhaps things would have been resolved better at the Boston HQ.

Take a sharp look at the practices of low-level managers. They might well be driving away good talent with bad management.

A once great company has fallen to pieces

I worked at Eze Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Eze used to pride itself on tremendous culture, workplace transparency, competitive compensation, and great training. It also revolutionized the industry by producing great products. Employees were promoted based on merit and the company was dynamic. Then, the ConvergEx merger happened. ConvergEx killed the culture in NYC and drained resources from the rest of the company. ConvergEx is now out of the picture (and will likely be out of business pretty soon), but Eze just kept getting worse. The QA program became miserable for incoming employees - a 12-18 month training program became a 2-3 year sweatshop and the stories of managers abusing their analysts were appalling. Consulting became nothing more than glorified tech-support as Eze began producing low-quality products or outright lying to clients saying they could sell products they didn't actually have and passing the buck onto Consultants to have to perpetuate this lie "in the name of protecting the company." I was actually told by my MANAGER to lie to clients and perpetuate the myths that sales sold on them - this was doing "good business." The moment that happened, I lost all respect for this company, and fortunately got out. I am not alone - the turnover here is absolutely outrageous, and management seems oblivious to the fact that the average employee usually lasts about 2 years here and refuse to do anything about it. Why? Because management, at least in consulting, is completely inept, likely because they have no experience working anywhere but Eze and thus have never received proper training on proper management.

Guess I didn't really list too many pros, because there really aren't many. I guess there are free snacks? Also, while the culture is eroding in the Boston HQ, it is still pretty good in some departments.... Also the company holiday party is truly great, and the community service opportunities are inspiring.

Cons

So many. The ceiling is low here because people who entered the company 5-7 years ago, regardless of their ability, have entered cushy mid to upper management positions and sit there like a logjam. Many of the upper management in NYC is downright bad at their jobs and prefer putting up good numbers in terms of implementation time business development to truly serving their clients (thought this was consulting? HA!). Positions are advertised as financial services but really you're either on the tech side (development), operations side (GTS), or "consulting" side which, as others have noted, is really glorified tech support. You are frequently derided by clients because the product has become terribly buggy and they have zero respect for you. Also, the Hedge Fund industry is retracting so the future of this company is not great....

Stop hiring econ/finance/liberal arts people for tech roles and hire TECHNICAL people. Consultants are nothing more than tech support - hire for this. Upper management needs to be purged - many of the manager/directors are inept because they have only known the disorganized Eze method - bring in consultants from true tech juggernauts like IBM, Capgemini, Accenture etc. to clean up the organization and instill true training and best-practice methods, because even upper management is constantly trying to figure it out on the fly because, frankly, they are low quality employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Eze Software