There are newer employer reviews for Eze Software

Run Away - The Job Description Might Sound Pretty, But You Will Learn the Truth the Hard Way.

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Boston, MA
Current Employee - QA Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Eze Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Healthcare and other benefits are generous. Free snacks and beer on Fridays are nice perks but don't outweigh the cons.

Cons

You're about to graduate from a top college. Among the most intriguing companies that you see as part of your job search is a financial technologies company that puts you through a "Leadership Development Program" as training for a Business Consultant role in a little over a year. After a long interview process, you're hired. You go in expecting to run financial models, run "regression" on data, and learn how to work with brokers, traders, and portfolio managers. And then you arrive for your first day.

You quickly realize that your expectations are nothing more than an illusion, carefully crafted by Eze's HR team and management. Eze, as much as it likes to behave like one, is not a "finance" company; it's a software company that serves financial institutions. All of the work that you will be doing in the QA division is going to revolve around testing software. What is software testing? Good question. The "regression" that I mentioned earlier involves looking at 200+ page Word documents with pictures that look something like this:

1. Click the icon on the top left side of the window. Make sure that a new window opens.
2. In the new window, start clicking around quickly near the bottom and ensure that the window doesn't crash. Be sure to do this for a few minutes.

Managers will tell you that regression is training. That's true, but consider that you may spend up to six months going through hundreds of steps like the two above for ten hours per day, five days a week. It is a mind-numbing task that doesn't use a single one of the skills that were tested in your interview, much less your college education. Next, you will be ready to work on verifications. Verifications are, put simply, mini versions of the regression scripts that you have been running. They target a single software defect and require you to "test around" an issue. This involves clicking random buttons that could somehow be tangentially related to the issue described to ensure that the "bug" is no longer present. The remainder of your time in QA will be spent writing regression scripts, writing testing plans, and testing ad hoc issues that have been fixed for clients in the field.

None of the work that you will be doing requires any financial acumen or leadership skills. You are being trained in a highly specialized piece of software with few transferrable skills; you are going to need to do some serious work on your resume if you want to move elsewhere in the financial services industry.

If I haven't convinced you to look elsewhere based solely on the unchallenging nature of the work, I hope that my description of management will sway you.

The managers in the QA division are extremely passive aggressive. They realize that they are middle managers with few opportunities for advancement because of their laziness and ineptitude. This has made them deeply bitter, which poisons the workplace. Walk behind the managers at any given part of the day and you are likely to see them looking at ESPN or doing anything but working. Eze likes to hire people from top schools, and this drives the managers insane because they realize that their employees are likely to be successful and move through the company while they stay put. Because they're the gateway to the rest of the company, they slow down everybody's progress to prevent them from leaving the division.

Here are some examples of the quality of these individuals. One manager was drunk one night and told some of the girls in the division - to their faces - that he had only hired them because they "were hot." Another manager schedules surprise "Sync Ups" with employees where, behind closed doors, he berates them. Nobody is immune to his sync ups. People often leave the building immediately after these meetings because they cannot handle remaining inside. The managers also randomly fire somebody every few months to restore the fear that characterizes life in the QA division.

Everyone in the Leadership Development Program is working towards a goal - becoming a Business Consultant. Best put, consulting has nothing to do with business or finance advice: it's on-site tech support. The phone rings incessantly all day and you provide phone support. If the problem is big enough, you travel across the city to the client's office. You are also responsible for implementations, or going to a client's office from 7pm until 2 or 3 am, or whenever the software has finished installing on a client's machine. You don't really need a college education for that job either. The longer you spend at Eze, the more specialized you become, and the more trapped you are.

By the way, management likes me and has promoted me several times. They have no idea that I feel like I do, nor do they acknowledge that a large portion of the QA division feels similarly.

95 Other Employee Reviews for Eze Software (View Most Recent)

Poor Management, Struggling Culture, No Room for Growth - It's not what it used to be....

I worked at Eze Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are/were some great people at Eze. They have good intentions and want to improve.

Cons

It is simply not a great place to work anymore. The company has grown quickly and some managers (that were probably great when they were first promoted and their teams were small) struggle to develop the growing teams that they are now managing. There is no room for growth and the leadership program (which is not much of a program at all) prepares you to become a consultant aka technical support specialist. They make a lot of false promises and target the wrong people because they want to culture to remain full of young former college athletes. They should be targeting people that are actually interested in technology and sell that aspect as opposed to promising people that they will end up in these amazing client facing roles if they can just pick up the tech aspect fast enough. There is a ton of pressure placed on employees, a lack of respect and as a result, very high turnover.

Great people... for the most part.

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Eze Software as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were great. Junior developers were fresh out of college/grad school, and they were good fun to work and play (football/darts/foozball) with. A lot of the more senior developers were also chill and great to work with as well. Overall good company culture and camaraderie among the rank-and-file developers.

Decent pay (for an internship).

Cons

Training and dev meetings were often lame, mostly consisting of Skyping in and listening to someone talk about a PowerPoint slideshow.

Management is hit-and-miss. There were some truly awesome managers I worked with, with lots of insight into the company and industry, and I'm going to miss them. But then there are the others...

My manager, in particular, had poor managerial skills, relying on his "all-star" team to do great work for which he took credit. He had a dictatorial management style, requiring members of his team to drop whatever they were doing to attend to whatever task he wanted. He had poor communication skills, and he spent a lot of time rambling or off-topic in meetings. He sometimes made comments that could be construed as offensive, and could neither take nor give constructive criticism well. He tried to micromanage work relationships between his employees, and he expected his employees to work well beyond a 40-hour week.

There was not a good support system to handle the problems I was having with my manager. I wish we'd had a third party (such as an HR representative or another manager) present at the office to help facilitate this matter. Perhaps things would have been resolved better at the Boston HQ.

Take a sharp look at the practices of low-level managers. They might well be driving away good talent with bad management.

There are newer employer reviews for Eze Software