There are newer employer reviews for FAA

It is a government job - that says it all

Current Employee - Computer Software Specialist  in  Atlantic City, NJ
Current Employee - Computer Software Specialist in Atlantic City, NJ

I have been working at FAA

Pros

I am not sure about the "best" reason, but one of the big reason I am here is job security, benefits while on the job and then retirement benefits. Also, if you land in a good group - like luckily I did - you have the benefit of working for some very smart people.

Cons

Just like any government - or actually, any organization of this size (I do not think it is really a government v/s private sector, it is small v/s big issue), there is a lot of bureaucracy and hoops to jump to get anything done.

small satisfactions go a long way. An example, a group pizza once a month - would go a long way.

147 Other Employee Reviews for FAA (View Most Recent)

Air Traffic Control - either love it or hate it!

Current Employee - Air Traffic Controller  in  Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Air Traffic Controller in Lansing, MI

I have been working at FAA

Pros

Air Traffic Control is a crazy job. They say only 2% of the population can do it. It is indeed a very stressful job. However, with hard work comes pride and joy in your accomplishments. It pays well, and there are packages such as the Thrift Savings Plan, and insurance. All the people that work in air traffic seem to be very intelligent people; they are quick on their feet, and think before they talk. These are some of the qualities you need to be an air traffic controller. I work in a place where the supervisors recognize hard work. When there is an emergency, a supervisor will commend a person for a job well done through written acknowledgments.

Cons

This is a very stressful job that is not for the week of heart. It takes about 1-2 years of working one-on-one with a senior controller while you speak over frequency, and they are able to override you if needed. However, air traffic controllers are known to "eat their own". That is, they are cutthroat, and if you make a bad transmission, they are likely to yell at you, and heaven forbid you make the same mistake twice, they may even unplug you to embarrass you! I am considering leaving Air Traffic Control to find another job. I know I can do anything I set my mind to. However, if you are doing it just for the pay, you may want to reevaluate if you want to be yelled at everyday. It is stressful and you take the job home with you.

My facility has a great management, so for other facilities, I think that employees really care that you recognize them, whether its for something simple like cleaning up after themselves, taking time to train another person during break, or assisting during an emergency.

Great Training and rewarding Job Satisfaction

Former Employee - Airway Transportation Systems Specialist  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Airway Transportation Systems Specialist in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at FAA

Pros

Great pay and benefits,Very diverse workload with ability to set priorities,challenging and highly technical workload,great training

Cons

Brown noses advance well, You have to brag on yourself exceeding in all areas for performance bonus which some find fun since they sit around on smoke break 1/4 of day,allowing co workers to carry load.
    Must be able to handle high pressure situations during equiptment outages.

get out of politics,Honor hard workers instead of special projects keep technical inspectors centrally located instead of in field office where they can be supervised

There are newer employer reviews for FAA

Worked for FAA? Contribute to the Community!