FAA
www.faa.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

Career in government that is often fast paced and full of change

Airway Transportation Systems Specialist (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

ProsIf you are willing to relocate and work hard there are many opportunities to excel in the agency. The agency values people that love to work and put in hours both at the job site and at home.

Many positions allow flexible schedules and 4 day work weeks (10 hour days) but mainly in the unionized positions.

Plenty of training too, you will be overloaded with the amount of trianing required to have a technical job.

ConsThe agency focuses too much on metrics, and not enough on people. They fail to make the connection that treating people well will result in great metric performance. Sadly if you do not meet 100% of goals that are often not related to safety, you are still not up to their expectations. It causes undue stress and can lead to unethical behavior.

The core comp pay system is an awful answer to the GS scale.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the reverse discrimination that is ongoing, it affects morale over time.

Restructure the pay system to attract talent and keep what you do have. The poor performers are the ones that do not strive to leave and accept the pay they have. Turn-over is high and people will often not come to the FAA as an airway transporation systems specialist to start at ~$40-50k when they are making considerably more in the private or military sector doing similar work.

Great place to be

Contract Specialist (Current Employee)
    Renton, WA

I have been working at FAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Great learning environment, room to develope skills and advance! Cons: Sometimes hard to admit being a federal employee with all… Advice to Senior Management: I'm fortunate to have progressive thinking managers; but ALL managers… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

air carrier inspector

Aviation Safety Inspector (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at FAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Working with industry folks doing jobs I am quite familiar with. I get a… Cons: I must violate folks who do not do their job… Advice to Senior Management: Let knowledgable folks do what they are good at and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on FAA.

Worked for FAA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FAA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FAA CEO Michael P. Huerta . All reviews posted anonymously by FAA employees.