FAA
www.faa.gov Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

Great people to work with, but might seem like a dead-end for younger professionals

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at FAA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFor me, there are three main things that determine job satisfaction. Who you work with, what projects you work on, and salary. I have worked here for three years now and can say that there is a pretty good culture here and everyone is easy to get along with. And, most of the projects are interesting.

ConsThe FAA, unlike most other federal agencies, uses "pay banding" instead of the GS scale. The first three years straight out of college you get decent pay grade increases. After that, though, you are pretty much on a frozen salary that likely will not keep up with inflation. There seems to be very little in the way of career advancement. There are no bonuses. Also during those first three years you only receive four hours of leave every two weeks, i.e., 8 hours leave per month. On the other hand, I suppose it is a fairly stable job, for the most part. But as a young professional with ambition, I can't help but wonder if there's something more challenging and rewarding out there.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that there are bright individuals in the younger generation and that it is important to keep them interested in working for you, otherwise they may seek greener pastures elsewhere. Challenge them, keep them motivated, and paint a clear picture on what career opportunities exist.

I have been working at FAA

Pros: Not sure, I'm not sure. Not too sure. Cons: You can meet many diff people More

Overall good place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at FAA full-time for more than a year

Pros: High visibility and great work life balance. Cons: Usual DC politics and gridlock. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on FAA.

Worked for FAA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FAA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FAA CEO Michael P. Huerta . All reviews posted anonymously by FAA employees.