FAA

Air Traffic as a profession

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at FAA

Pros

Federal employment, Good Benefits, Better than average pay

Cons

Management is more reactive than proactive.

Don't let the union take over again

170 Other Employee Reviews for FAA (View Most Recent)

It is a government job - that says it all

Current Employee - Computer Software Specialist in Atlantic City, NJ
    Current Employee - Computer Software Specialist in Atlantic City, NJ

I have been working at FAA

Pros

I am not sure about the "best" reason, but one of the big reason I am here is job security, benefits while on the job and then retirement benefits. Also, if you land in a good group - like luckily I did - you have the benefit of working for some very smart people.

Cons

Just like any government - or actually, any organization of this size (I do not think it is really a government v/s private sector, it is small v/s big issue), there is a lot of bureaucracy and hoops to jump to get anything done.

small satisfactions go a long way. An example, a group pizza once a month - would go a long way.

Air Traffic Control - either love it or hate it!

Current Employee - Air Traffic Controller in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Air Traffic Controller in Lansing, MI

I have been working at FAA

Pros

Air Traffic Control is a crazy job. They say only 2% of the population can do it. It is indeed a very stressful job. However, with hard work comes pride and joy in your accomplishments. It pays well, and there are packages such as the Thrift Savings Plan, and insurance. All the people that work in air traffic seem to be very intelligent people; they are quick on their feet, and think before they talk. These are some of the qualities you need to be an air traffic controller. I work in a place where the supervisors recognize hard work. When there is an emergency, a supervisor will commend a person for a job well done through written acknowledgments.

Cons

This is a very stressful job that is not for the week of heart. It takes about 1-2 years of working one-on-one with a senior controller while you speak over frequency, and they are able to override you if needed. However, air traffic controllers are known to "eat their own". That is, they are cutthroat, and if you make a bad transmission, they are likely to yell at you, and heaven forbid you make the same mistake twice, they may even unplug you to embarrass you! I am considering leaving Air Traffic Control to find another job. I know I can do anything I set my mind to. However, if you are doing it just for the pay, you may want to reevaluate if you want to be yelled at everyday. It is stressful and you take the job home with you.

My facility has a great management, so for other facilities, I think that employees really care that you recognize them, whether its for something simple like cleaning up after themselves, taking time to train another person during break, or assisting during an emergency.

There are newer employer reviews for FAA