There are newer employer reviews for FDA

A good learning experience

Current Employee - Engineer in Silver Spring, MD
Current Employee - Engineer in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at FDA

Pros

Promoting human health, Job Flexibility, Continued education opportunities

Cons

Uneven distribution of workload, Lack of transparency from senior management, Lack of recognition

Work quality and employee workload should have a greater impact in performance evaluations.

120 Other Employee Reviews for FDA (View Most Recent)

I have learned a lot and am allowed to be as hands on with my project as I want to be.

Current Employee - Research Assistant - Intern in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Research Assistant - Intern in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at FDA

Pros

Everyone working there is extremely intelligent and they are dealing with cutting edge research with the goal of increasing the safety of new medical devices. Huge organization with plenty of opportunities in many different departments.

Cons

For my one year intern position to become a full time position it would require me to have a PhD. Availability of new positions depends on government budget.

Keep actively supporting local universities with internships.

It's an exciting environment. Always regulatory changes, new drug entities, emergencies to handle.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at FDA

Pros

* Smart, competent people
    * Interesting work
    * Very family friendly
    * Great benefits/retirement

Cons

The personality of the Office of the Commissioner (OC), which impacts the rest of the Agency, changes with a new administration. This is no different than anywhere else in government. Sometimes the OC is more controlling in one administration than another (and I mean controlling of the work of the Centers). Also, as with many technical workplaces, you can have a supervisor that knows the science but may not be a good manager. Most are pretty good, though.

Listen to you Center Directors. Include them in at the beginning of the conversation and not at the end where input is solicited but the decision has already been made.

There are newer employer reviews for FDA