Worth doing

Current Employee - Intern in White Oak, MD
Current Employee - Intern in White Oak, MD

I have been working at FDA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people Accommodating people Good pay if you have enough research experience Name on publication(s)

Cons

Work often tedious Progress and efficiency often bogged down by bureaucracy Often separated from people your age People not very talkative or social

Other Employee Reviews for FDA

Nice people, fairly professional environment. Gov work is strange and It just wasn't the right type of work for me.

Former Employee - Consumer Safety Officer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Consumer Safety Officer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at FDA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was fun to be a part of a young new hiring wave. Go to training and make new colleagues/friends. Work schedule was flexible as long as you got in your weekly 40 hours and got your work done. Seeing all the diverse levels of food inudstry in America was interesting (albeit, a bit depressing).

Cons

Well, if you know anything about government work you will understand that often the office politics and work incentives are strange. People are nice to your face but often are talking about you behind your back (but I guess that goes with life in general). The agency itself is sluggish, out of touch, sincere yet bound by regulations that just don't address the real issues in food industry. People talk about the FDA being corrupt at the upper level. I can't speak too much about that because I was at the field level. However, I perceived less corruption than just plain ol' apathy and disconnectedness.

Advice to Management

Phew! this is a tough one. All the managers and supervisors are good people, in fact everyone in the agency that I met were good people...it's just that the way things are structured and the incentives in place...it makes it tough for managers (or anyone for that matter) to be real people. I would say, don't worry too much about the paperwork and try to spend more time with your cso's, developing the relationships.

Division Secretary

Former Employee - Division Director Secretary in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Division Director Secretary in Rockville, MD

I worked at FDA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Government pay and benefits were very good compared to private industry. This was the easiest job I have ever had and lots of free time on my hands. More employees than were necessary... More leave than you could possibly use....

Cons

Waste of taxpayers money. Period. I hear people complain about how they are so overworked their now and it makes me sick because of all the waste.

Advice to Management

Trim employees atleast 1/3 of the way down. No one is worth the money the government pays for their employees.