Great place to work

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at FINRA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with, management is in tune with employee needs. Departments work well with one another. Work-life balance is reasonable.

Cons

DC location doesn't have the perks of the Rockville location.

Other Reviews for FINRA

Not very challenging, didn't see much growth potential

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer  in  Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Rockville, MD

I worked at FINRA as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-pay was good for a first-year intern, structured pay based on how many years of education you have
    - good office amenities (gym, cafeteria, coffee machines)
    - friendly coworkers

Cons

- the work itself was very dull and I didn't really learn much through my summer at the company
    - didn't get enough work to do
    - boss was not interested in my progress whatsoever

While the other intern seem to have enjoyed their experience quite a bit, a few of us were unsatisfied with our workload. Make the intern program more balanced throughout all departments.

Stuck in a hole I can't get out of.

Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst  in  Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Regulatory Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at FINRA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits plan is probably the only thing FINRA has going for it (I wish I could say the same salary-wise compared to other comments posted on here).

Cons

I don't even know where to begin. Little things like our technology platform are sorely lacking. We are also sitting on a decent amount of cash and yet I don't think my bonuses have ever been anything to brag about. The pay structure/grade system also could be a bit more generous. If you want to attract and keep talent, pay them what they're worth. A simple concept that's missed by the bigwigs who run things from on high on K Street.

Senior Management appears to be pretty misguided and/or clueless at best, but most likely apathetic. There's no career guidance, let alone room for advancement. In my case, I came to FINRA as a recent MBA grad who already had five years of industry experience. Little did I know that FINRA prefers to hire freshly minted law school grads with no job experience, period, and virtually no industry experience other than what one can read in a textbook. We're supposed to be regulating the financial industry and those who have industry experience are somewhat frowned upon instead of being used as a resource.

I have been with FINRA for five years, and have tried to transfer to different departments solely in an effort to gain more experience in different functional areas (we are way too silo'ed, if that's a word). Sadly, I was told by various HR reps that my resume was deemed "too light" by hiring managers for those positions I applied to, although the positions I applied to were well within my pay grade, or the next level higher. When I've tried to fight to get promoted to the next pay grade in my current role, I am told that I was passed over but to "keep doing what you're doing". Probably the worst career guidance I've ever received. So if you do the math, I've been here five years with no promotion ever earned, yet I've seen my department hire tons of law school grads, only to see them walk out two years later and replaced with another law school grad. Meanwhile, those of us who been "loyal" feel like we get crapped on constantly. I think the philosophy of my department is to replace the bodies once they go cold.

In short, this company is run by lawyers who appear to just backstab each other in order to get ahead while playing C-Y-A doing it. Meanwhile, the Analysts who are loyal suffer and the morale in the office just sucks. I now find myself in a position that I can't get out of, with a unique skill set that, since I am not a lawyer, does not help me in my job search/career development.

Fire senior management and actually hire a management team that has real experience in running a corporation (not necessarily financial, just a company).

There are newer employer reviews for FINRA.

Worked for FINRA? Contribute to the Community!