There are newer employer reviews for FIS

fast paced, high demand environment

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst II  in  Menomonee Falls, WI
Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst II in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at FIS

Pros

work is challenging and management recognizes the hard work their employees do every day (at least in my experience).

Cons

The large company (30,000+ employees) mentality has gotten the best of the corporation as a whole, and at many times you can feel like just a number.

509 Other Employee Reviews for FIS (View Most Recent)

The hard work you are pushed to do does more for the companies benefit than your own.

Current Employee - Database Analyst I  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Database Analyst I in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at FIS

Pros

The company is a fast-paced and is always changing. One day you are planning for a year end plan, the next day something new lands on your lap. There is something always changing, so never a boring moment. It is hard to make plans as priorities keep changing week to week. Most times you are forced into a situation where skills need to develop where you never found yourself having. You skill set and dependency will grow from being green to ripe with pressure in a short matter of time

Cons

The company is very business oriented, political, and bureaucratic. From a technical stand point, if you think mastering a technical skill sets or trade will protect your point-of-views, you are in for a rude-awakening. There were a lot of good talented people that were laid off. In contrast, there were also a few others that were kept and did not possess the same talent.

Over the years that I have worked as a technician, I have found that business knowledge and influence can be a more powerful tool than mastering a technical skill set. Management provides little or no direction, so you will find yourself having to do the work for them. Eventually, you may end up doing the job well enough that they develop a dependency towards you and ask for your advise. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as you don't assume to be the authority on your conversations.

A suggestion I recommend, only if it benefits you, is to continue working on making your manager look good. I recommend this with caution. I have been under three different managers since I have worked with the company. All of them have a different sense of character. If you have a manager that asks for more, but lacks to acknowledge or does little for you in return, avoid wasting your time with this. You will end up doing more work than the payoff is worth.

As some of the previous comments in here state, additional responsibilities can be easily acquired. To expect additional pay or significant pay increase, the company would rather assume that the same job could be done off-shore with lesser pay. One may argue that those responsibilities upheld provided significant revenue increase. But with the direction to which the company is headed to as it has grown, its corporate ego has disregarded the voice of the employees that help build it. At its current state you are treated as a number. Perhaps the situation may change someday.

FIS may currently be the leading solutions provider to financial industry. However, the situation is foreseen to change if the company continues to head in the direction it is currently taking and disregard the practices of the employees that contributed to its state of success. My advice to the leadership at FIS is to be aware of the strengths of each region, and use the talent that is offered. I think that the company has been over-sighting the cultural differences between each region and not emphasizing on the benefits and state of mind that each offers. In addition, encourage the on-shore technicians to keep an open mind to develop business skill set. I found that once a technician understands the business goal, their approach or feedback has been crucial in providing the best strategy to market.

Overall, it was frustrating.

Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at FIS

Pros

Large company
    Nice cafeteria
    Experience business Analysts

Cons

Unreceptive to industry trends in IT
    Too paranoid about information security
    Difficult to introduce new ideas
    Outdated ergonomics
    In need of serious facilities upgrading

Innovate in all areas

There are newer employer reviews for FIS

Worked for FIS? Contribute to the Community!