There are newer employer reviews for FIS

Big business in a nut shell

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at FIS full-time

Pros

The people in general are very professional and internally there are lots of opportunity to improve yourself. Starting salary was very competitive.

Cons

Constant concern for your job. The cuts often were strictly money related and though there are lots of duplicate positions, money seems to drive every decision.

Remember that those lofty budget goals always end up being satisfied on the backs of people who didn't have any input. Saying everyone can improve the bottom line can only be taken serious by execs slapping each other on the back in a boardroom.

reviews filtered by

The Most Frustrating & Stressful Work Experience Of My Life

I worked at FIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers were the best part of my job.

Working at FIS Global is like buying a boat......the best days are your first and your last.

Cons

- There are constant changes and reorganizations. Expect significant changes every 6-8 months.
    - Random layoffs are constant. You can and should expect them after every quarterly earnings call.
    - The compensation for new employees off the street is decent. However if you are an internal employee, you should expect that you will not receive the minimum starting pay. This is actually happening.
    - They have a habit of holding replacement job reqs to improve the bottom line even if the position is desperately needed and is putting undue stress on current employees. You must go in with the understanding that you are a) simply a number and/or b) just an expense on the balance sheet. And they will actually tell you that you are just an expense.
    - For being "#1 in Technology", Executive Leadership has done a great good job at pillaging the IT staff as they make a higher salary. This means system fixes have a difficult job being scheduled or done at all, which translates into unhappy clients.
    - To piggy back the "#1 in Technology" comment, the tools that they give you to do your job are completely outdated. I think that Alexander Graham Bell designed the internal phone system. Basically it's one step up from a rotary dial phone.
    - Merit increases are sub-par at best if they are given at all. You should expect a maximum of 2% if you are a total rockstar and nearly work yourself to death.
    - FFIEC issues. How the Sunrise Data Breach was handled is a case study of what not to do. There was clearly a lack of cooperation by executivfe leadership which resulted in the goverment sending a letter and exam findings to all clients.Gary & Company have been working with financial institutions for a while now and should know that a "recommendation" by a regulatory body is actually a "directive". They played a game of chicken with the government and lost.
    - There is so much red tape that it's ridiclious and nearly impossible to get things done. You get a lot of one line, "not my problem" answers. I have typically seen this in company's where employees constantly have to CYA.
    - Outdated products that are clunky and, in some cases, overpriced. They won't get fixed or updated, even with customer complaints. Only new products get any attention and funding.

They simply don't care so what is the point.

2. Consider putting layoff employees in other positions within the company.

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at FIS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable company, great culture, employee interest, and provide great training in management.

Cons

I think human resources should assist or prepare employees that is being laid off to re-enter the work force:
    1) formal one-on-one interview
    2) provide resume writing classes
    3) consider other positions within the company

I think Fidelity can do a better job in this area.

None