Not bad but not great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at FLIR

Pros

Tech is pretty good but too much military

Cons

They hold back free thinking

Advice to Management

Work harder

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A mixed bag

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Billerica, MA

I worked at FLIR

Pros

* Interesting technology with cool applications * Many nice people * Good life/work balance (at least in my group) * Could work at home when needed (at least in my group) * Flexible start/end times (at least in my group) * Creativity is welcome * Room for professional growth

Cons

* Management could be difficult and was not always reasonable * Poor communication between managers and employees * Many two-faced people * Lack of information sharing - this made it difficult to complete projects * Lack of clear planning * Compensation could be better

Advice to Management

Develop a plan and stick with it, unless it makes actual sense to change it. Be open with employees. This will help morale. Pay people what they're worth.

Good company with a promising future

Current Employee - Electronics Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Electronics Engineer in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at FLIR

Pros

Fair pay and very good benefits. The technology is exciting and individuals are given lots of responsibility. Managers are very hands off (to a fault in some cases). Company has been very willing to invest in itself and in its employees.

Cons

Engineering tends to be highly risk adverse, and it think it is because in most of the cities that it operates, FLIR is the best gig in town so no one has any incentive to risk their job or reputation by aiming too high. Management is increasingly experimenting with outsourcing design work, though in fairness, it is mostly because there is not enough internal engineering resources to accommodate the ambitions of the product managers.

Advice to Management

They should try to realize some synergies of operating multiple different design groups at the different sites. I get the impression that each group has independently reinvented the wheel in many cases just because information is not shared very well between the different divisions.