There are newer employer reviews for FM Global

Great company for those that like the work environment.

Former Contractor - Developer in Johnston, RI
Former Contractor - Developer in Johnston, RI

I worked at FM Global as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

No expectations on creativity, fully by the book. Great for those that are interested in that.

Cons

Don't ask to work from home, they will fire and get rid of talent quicker than a blink of an eye. They run off of the old model of business, which works great for mediocre consistency.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you do, I'm sure you will do just fine. After-all you are an insurance company, not a

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Overall Great Experience Wonderful People

Former Employee - IS Coop II in Johnston, RI
    Former Employee - IS Coop II in Johnston, RI

I worked at FM Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful building and grounds. Current technology. Impressive Data Center.

Cons

Was difficult to get hired permanently as a Coop. Very small percentage of Coops ever get hired on for permanent positions. Felt wasteful having to learn the very specific systems, processes and procedures for a nine month position (I stayed longer than the 6 month coop term)

Advice to Management

Hire your Coops. Don't make all open positions Senior Level. (Speaking about IS specifically)

Many people think it's great. I think it's crap. But I'm sure it's not this way across the board.

I have been working at FM Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good medical benefits. Bonus incentive based on company performance is great. PTO for volunteering Company match on charity donations is outstanding

Cons

Not enough time off given. It takes 15 years of service to earn 4 weeks of vacation. The technology for such a large company is severely lacking. Opportunity is available only to certain people. The company chooses many times not to promote within...for some people. Managers cut down employees to their peers on a consistent basis. Managers treat employees like children instead of competent adults. I say find a place with better promos unless you want to be stuck in the same spot for decades. Dead end job if you're not an engineer.

Advice to Management

Reprimand the managers who downgrade and devalue their employees. You are likely to lose really good workers. Morale is very low due to horrible management style and practices. It would be great to be able to fill out surveys on how the managers are doing. We are constantly measured by them, it would be fair if they can be measured by us.